Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbsjbs
Binge Watcher

Re: Severe color/contrast distortion while Plex-streaming HEVC+EAC3 videos

I have several Roku Ultra 4800s exhibiting this color imbalance defect. Does anyone know whether the newer model 4801 is still exhibiting the same defect?

0 Kudos
jbsjbs
Binge Watcher

@ftballpack would you mind sharing the "For Dummies" steps of modifying an MP4 file that's exhibiting this color shift? I'd love to give it a try and while I'm very comfortable with computers/networking/servers I have a bit of a knowledge gap when it comes to video containers/codecs/etc. Don't want to break anything. Thanks

0 Kudos
2ka
Streaming Star

@VanillaDrizzle, I think the answer to your head scratcher is the lack of color information in the first file.  So when Plex remuxes that file, it doesn't add any color space info to the MKV header, so there is nothing to trigger the distortion bug.  If there is color info, as in the second file, the Plex server will copy it to the MKV header when it remuxes the file for playback.

As far as "fixing" the second file, I don't know if there is a super easy way.  If it were me, I would use FFMPEG to copy the video and transcode the audio into AC3 format, and put the results into an MKV container.  Then use use something like MKVToolNix to make sure there is no color info in the MKV header.  Finally, make sure your player and server set up to direct play the file.  That way the Plex server won't remux the file, and it will be direct played to your device without the troublesome color info in the MKV header.

I don't know of a way to just edit the MPEG file to get rid of the color info.  I think it is encoded in the video stream itself.

0 Kudos
2ka
Streaming Star

@jbsjbs, unfortunately I don't think there is a super simple cookbook way of "fixing" an MP4 file so it won't have this problem. 

Here are some pointers, which is a slightly more expanded version of my reply to @VanillaDrizzle.  Keep in mind that the problem happens because the Plex server finds it necessary to transcode and/or remultiplex the file for some reason.  This is often because of the AAC audio.  Plex switches to an MKV container and correctly puts color space information into the header of the container.  The color information in the header triggers the Roku Bug. The strategy is to convert them so that Plex doesn't try to transcode or remux them.  They can then can be direct played from a container that doesn't contain the problematic color space info in the header.  Here are the steps I use:

1.  Use FFMPEG to copy the existing audio and video streams to a new MKV container.  At the same time transcode the existing AAC audio to and AC3 stream, and add that to the container as well.  Note that FFMPEG is a VERY powerful command line utility that has a somewhat intimidating learning curve.  There is a great GUI called myFFmpeg4 (costs a few bucks) that makes it much more approachable.

2.  Use a tool such as MKVToolNixGUI to remove all the colorspace and color mastering information from the header.

3.  Put the new MKV file in your Plex library in place of the old one.  Make sure your Plex server and client are set up to direct play the file.

This has been working well for me.  It would be better (sigh) if Roku would just fix the bug though.

no1jam
Binge Watcher

@2ka 

First, great info, just like previously in the thread.

Second, lol....why mess with this when you can just get another device.

The problem has been verified and presented to Roku, yet NO fix in 18+ months. I mean, is there even a unofficial response from them?

I've been just blindly buying Roku's for about 10 years....next time I upgrade I will be MUCH more hesitant. There's tons of other devices out there that support Plex.

Roku, are you listening? This bug is potentially costing you customers now.

FWIW, I just turn on subs and let that "fix" the bug for me.

hdusa635
Channel Surfer

Re: Severe color/contrast distortion while Plex-streaming HEVC+EAC3 videos.

I had observed a transient work round. I ought to allow HDR always on and set my LG TV photograph profile to movie maker. That turned into working till an Roku firmware replace on four-nine. Now not anything I do will remedy the shade distortion.

0 Kudos
Theyhavelanded
Channel Surfer

I think Roku made an update. Now on my 4800 When I play a file using plex with the HEVC+EAC3 combo. It plays for 2 minutes then goes to a 33%. after 15 seconds or so it throws a bandwidth error. If i hit Retry it plays for another 2 minutes and craps out again. This is hardwired and used to work. Roku changed something and now it doesn't.

I'm using the latest Roku OS as well as latest PMS on Windows 7 and latest Plex app. All as of 8/31

0 Kudos
Awponder
Binge Watcher

any update on this?

0 Kudos
Awponder
Binge Watcher

I have roku ultra lt and it's def present. Driving me nuts.

0 Kudos

In messing with settings within the Roku Plex client, I found there was an advanced setting for a "sound stutter fix" for Roku OS 10. Disabling that fixed my HDR saturation issue. So I'm guessing the HDR issue is an unintended side effect of the sound fix.

0 Kudos