Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: I think I may have this mystery solved

@jsharret 

https://support.roku.com/contactus       (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

Don't expect much if any response or timely resolution...

0 Kudos
oneleaf
Reel Rookie

Wow, this thread has been super helpful. Thanks to everyone for all of the thorough explanations as to what is causing this issue.

I have a Roku Ultra (2020 model). It works great with Plex for x264, but I have the severe red saturation issue with x265 files.

Some pertinent details:

• Almost all of my x265 files have AAC 5.1 sound so Plex will need to transcode it.
  • None of my files have any of the color headers that tend to give problems, so there was nothing for me to remove. However, since Plex is repackaging it with transcoded audio, the problem arises.
  • I tried forcing Direct Play to see how the video stream looks, and it gets rid of the problem... however, that means I have no sound. So of course this won't work, but it's nice to see it confirm the issue that has been described in detail.

My only solution at this point is to:

• Turn off Direct Stream when playing x265 files and let the server transcode. Not ideal, but at least it lets me watch my stuff for now.
  • Hope this gets fixed in a future update. However, it sounds like this has been going on for almost a year now and Roku support hasn't actually acknowledged this problem?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Ahslan
Binge Watcher

Can't believe this issue has been happening for so long 😔. Issue started when we got a new Roku Express 4k+ to replace our old Roku 3. Really disappointed with the new device

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Ahslan

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ahslan
Binge Watcher

The issue that this thread is about...specifically when streaming hevc files, everything looks an orange filter has been applied and the colors aren't right.

0 Kudos
oneleaf
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@Ahslan

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Although I appreciate you stepping in, we already have 9 pages of indisputable proof with a hours of troubleshooting and submissions from users/customers demonstrating the problem. It's extremely frustrating to see you come in and act all earnest about wanting to help us as if this is a new problem that you'd love to hear more about.

Honestly, unless we can get an engineer or representative to actually own this problem, I'll be selling both of my Roku boxes and never buying another one. No one should be asked to explain the problem again, or to reset their device, or to update the firmware, or any other canned response that is normally given, since I think the people in this thread deserve better at this point.

uncletim
Binge Watcher

I wonder if 10.5 will fix it? 

0 Kudos
ftballpack
Streaming Star

I wonder if 10.5 will fix it?

That would require the Roku devs to look at this thread. The cause of the issue has been narrowed down for months, they just need to implement a fix. We know the cause of the issue.

0 Kudos
ftballpack
Streaming Star

@RokuDanny-R

This post summarizes the problem, my testing methodology narrowing down the cause of the issue, and the color display issue itself.

It's an extremely crude summary of the entire thread.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Severe-color-contrast-distortion-while-Plex-s...

0 Kudos
robross0606
Reel Rookie

Considering how long this has been hanging out here unfixed, does anyone think there's a possibility it might be a hardware/chipset bug?  I've seen similar behavior from Onkyo when they dragged their feet over HDMI issues before finally admitting it was an (unpatchable) hardware chip problem.

0 Kudos