Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
techjunkie
Channel Surfer

Re: Severe color/contrast distortion while Plex-streaming HEVC+EAC3 videos.

Yet I am still seeing the distorted color. If you could please do me a favor, please open this short cat video with your 4800x Roku and see what happens. I can't make this video play properly unless I switch it from an mkv to mp4 container. I am beyond frustrated with the hours that I spent troubleshooting the issues with this thing. https://mega.nz/file/lXhUSL4A#piXjGM5OcOsEppuNEaw8gYsMEwJ1T_EQxjXwIwjn2HY

I tested the file on the link and the color is oversaturated.  mediainfo doesn't show the BT.709 attributes on your file.

I add the color attributes a bit differently than you do.  I was able to fix your video file by doing it this way:

ffmpeg -i IMG_8880-HEVCSDR10bit.mkv -map 0 -c copy -colorspace:v bt709 -color_primaries:v bt709 -color_trc:v bt709 'output.mkv'

Let me know how it goes

ftballpack
Streaming Star

I appreciate all of your help on this techjunkie. This issue is beyond frustrating.

When I play it back, in an mkv container, I am still seeing distorted color, using the same exact same modifications you made to the file using FFmpeg version 4.2.4 & FFmpeg version 4.4

Here is the same exact file but this time in an mp4 container. For me, this plays back perfectly:

https://mega.nz/file/lfxWzRaS#8SlZl9DMYNaLvEiYPRSafrjzi263yHzmsaRf4Q0mBeo

No matter what I seem to try, I still get the HDR color distortions when playing back HEVC in an mkv.

Mediainfo readout, of the mkv file I tried:

Default : Yes Forced : No Color range : Limited Color primaries : BT.709 Transfer characteristics : BT.709 Matrix coefficients : BT.709
0 Kudos
techjunkie
Channel Surfer

That's so odd.  I've done the same on about a dozen other mkv files and it solved the color issue every time.  I wonder if maybe our plex server configuration is set up differently.  Also, I did have to modify the Plex Roku profile to get it to direct play hevc in mkv.  Can you take a screenshot or note the "stream info" page on Plex when you have the color saturation issue vs when it works?  I'm curious if it's showing direct play or direct stream. 

Either way, here's my modified version of your original.  Try it out on your plex and see if it works.  If it does, then maybe my ffmpeg is handling encoding differently than yours.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xtj1xmy776u8zex/IMG_8880-HEVCSDR10bit-bt709.mkv?dl=1

0 Kudos
Lochalan

ftballpack, your ffmpeg command string fixed the color saturation and gamma problems for me.  At least on the single movie I have tested it on.  It'd be nice if Roku actually fixed the underlying problem so I don't have to do that to a large number of video files.

0 Kudos
Crosis47
Reel Rookie

The easiest solution for this problem is to disable Direct Stream in Plex. Once the file is trans-coded, the red saturation will subside. Another solution I have seen on several forums is that the new Walmart-Exclusive Roku Ultra LT does not have this issue. Given that the Roku Ultra is the only Roku that supports DolbyVision and the LT version does not, the best I can guess as to what causes this is that somehow, with HEVC files, the Roku is attempting to apply DolbyVision but there is no metadata so it is messing up the color gamut.

0 Kudos
ftballpack
Streaming Star

I received an e-mail from Roku support to update my 4800x to see if the issue still persists.

I pulled the 4800x out of storage, updated the device, restarted it, and to no surprise, the issue still persists.

I put the 4800x back into storage and will continue to use the 2019 Ultra I found on Amazon that does not have the same issues as the 4800x.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@ftballpack wrote:

I received an e-mail from Roku support to update my 4800x to see if the issue still persists.

I pulled the 4800x out of storage, updated the device, restarted it, and to no surprise, the issue still persists.

I put the 4800x back into storage and will continue to use the 2019 Ultra I found on Amazon that does not have the same issues as the 4800x.

What build did it update to? Build 4208 was just released today....

0 Kudos
ftballpack
Streaming Star

What build did it update to? Build 4208 was just released today....

It updated to 4205. I just pulled the Roku out of storage and ran the latest update to 4208. The issue still persists.

0 Kudos
techjunkie
Channel Surfer

UPDATE: Looks like my issue was on Plex end.  I had a custom profile for Roku Ultra due to Plex not properly supporting direct play for 4k mkv videos in the past (Roku-7x vs Roku-9x).  Decided to delete the profile and updated Plex to latest version (1.23.5.4862)  No more color/contrast issues.  Plex's default profile seem to handle everything properly.

0 Kudos
swampopus

Wanted to say that I also found a work-around.  In Plex (on Roku) after you select the video, select to go to playback options and turn OFF "direct play".  This causes playback to get handled by your PC I think-- either way, the colors all fixed themselves magically for me.

0 Kudos