Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Severe color/contrast distortion while Plex-streaming HEVC+EAC3 videos.

250 REPLIES 250
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Severe color/contrast distortion while Plex-streaming HEVC+EAC3 videos.

Assuming you have the latest firmware (9.4.1-4212) you'll want to report this directly to Roku:

Chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options  (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

and/or message @RokuDanny-R 

0 Kudos
mmausler
Reel Rookie

Hello, wondering if you were ever able to get this resolved. I'm experiencing something similar, with HEVC+EAC3 videos having high contrast. If I set the Plex app to transcode to 720p then the colors are correct, but then the video has to buffer frequently and is unwatchable. Any help is greatly appreciated.

cmchotmail

No.  They never fixed it, so I gave up and returned it for a refund.  They claimed to have made a patch for me but when I installed the firmware update it made zero difference.  Very disappointed, and I think it's totally unethical for them to put a product on the market that can't do what it claims to do.  Those are mainstream codecs.  I had a $29 Android TV box from China that could handle EAC3 and HEVC just fine.  Also, there were about a dozen other minor bugs/flaws that a professional product should never go to market with.  It's like they just don't care.  I continued to ask the Roku customer service for help and all I got was the generic 'we are investigating' w/ no followup.  I don't think I'll ever buy anything from Roku again. 

I'm also seeing the same issue with my 2020 Roku Ultra 4800X. I'm seeing this with all HEVC/H.265 content. The issue is especially noticeable with animated content (see attached image).

Model: 2020 Roku Ultra 4800X

Version: 9.4.1 build 4222-C2

RokuIssue.jpg

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Make sure you report it directly to Roku as provided above.

0 Kudos
countrylac
Channel Surfer

I had found a temporary work around. I could enable HDR always on and set my LG TV picture profile to film maker. That was working until an Roku firmware update on 4-9. Now nothing I do will resolve the color distortion.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@countrylac wrote:

I had found a temporary work around. I could enable HDR always on and set my LG TV picture profile to film maker. That was working until an Roku firmware update on 4-9. Now nothing I do will resolve the color distortion.

What is the firmware version+build?

If its 10.0.0-4165, try changing the Display mode (there are new separate 4K HDR and 4K DV options).

Otherwise, as usual, report it directly to Roku as provided earlier in this thread.

0 Kudos
countrylac
Channel Surfer

@StreamerUser wrote:

@countrylac wrote:

What is the firmware version+build?

If its 10.0.0-4165, try changing the Display mode (there are new separate 4K HDR and 4K DV options).

Otherwise, as usual, report it directly to Roku as provided earlier in this thread.

It is 10.0.0-4165-C2. I tried the different display options. I even set it to just 4K but I’m still getting the results. Thanks for the suggestion though. I didn’t realize these new display options were even there.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@countrylac

Thanks for the post.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos