Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku won't accept Sling password

Jump to solution

I'm out of ideas as well.  I'm afraid only Sling is going to be able to help you with this.  You can try the old remove, restart, reinstall procedure that @RokuNimfa-C mentioned.  You do have the channel/app installed since you're launching it and it's asking you to log in.  Highlight the channel on the Home Screen and press * button on your remote and choose the "Remove channel" option.  Then restart your Roku from Settings->System or Settings->System->Power as appropriate.  Once your Roku restarts add the channel and try to log in again.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
olemiss74
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I followed your instructions by removing Sling, restarting Roku and re-adding Sling but still am unable to sign into my Sling on Roku.  Roku rejects my Sling password even though that password works to sign me into my sling.com account.  Sling has no customer service support other than a community so is unable to address the problem of password rejection on the Roku device.  It is impossible for me to sign into Sling on Roku and impossible for me to get help from Sling.  So, I guess Roku just won't work for me, right?  I'll have to ditch it and try another streaming service.  Is that my only option?  I can't believe that there is no Roku or Sling customer service.  It's starting to make cable look attractive again. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@olemiss74, the thing is even if Roku had decent customer service they wouldn't be able to help you with this problem.  They didn't create the channel/app and have no idea how it works.  You need to point the blame squarely at Sling.  If it was me, I'd be dumping Sling, not Roku.  Thankfully, there's plenty of options for streaming services as well as streaming devices unlike the monopoly some cable companies have in some areas.  Oh, and Roku isn't a streaming service - they simply make little computers that connect to your TV and run apps almost all of which they didn't create and couldn't possibly provide support for.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
olemiss74
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yes, I see your point.  I found other complaints on this blog of inability to log into one's Sling account on Roku, so it's definitely a problem with the interface between Sling and Roku.  I subscribed to Sling because it's the only streaming service that offers a specific channel that I watch....no other streaming service does.  So, if Sling doesn't work with Roku, then there's no reason to keep it.  I wanted to be able record OTA programs on a Tablo Dual Lite device that I bought, but it works only with Roku and Amazon Fire.  It's very frustrating to be forced to buy these devices just because they are needed to use other applications.  I think I'll just forget recording and use my outdoor antenna to get free TV (which is amazing!) and my Samsung Smart TV which has the Sling app on it to watch the one channel that only Sling offers.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @olemiss74

Please note that Roku doesn't manage channel logins or authentication. It is handled directly by the channel publisher. If the issue persists after troubleshooting, we suggest you reach out to the provider directly, they can resolve the error you are having with the channel.

We hope you understand!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
olemiss74
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

The so-called provider, Sling, has NO customer service and is incapable of resolving any customer issue as Sling has no customer contact mechanism.   Please refrain from suggesting that Sling customers contact that company's customer service as it does not exist. 

To that point, why does Roku sponsor channels devoid of customer service?  It appears that Roku should be more selective when accepting channels for representation on it's device.  Since Sling does not have a customer service function, common sense dictates that Roku cease from sponsoring such an enterprise on its network.  Why does Roku sponsor channels that are incapable of customer problem resolution?

andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Sling TV, along with AirTV, is owned by Dish Network. Dish suffered a major ransomware hack a week or two ago and alot of support and customer access is still down or not working properly.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/blog/news/2023/03/ransomware-led-to-multiple-dish-network-outages 

0 Kudos
olemiss74
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

There are other complaints on the Roku community blog about problems with the Sling/Roku interface that predate the current Sling cyber attack.  Sling is obviously either incapable of or uninterested in addressing the problem.  Their customer service has long been non-functional according to many users.  The only reason I subscribed was because Sling is the only streaming channel that offers a specific program that I watch and assesses a monthly $6 surcharge for it.  

0 Kudos
Nocomcast1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I tried this, but still get msg. that the Sling password/logon is invalid.

This T.V is 16 years old - I have a new Lg T.V  in another room and had no issues bringing up Sling.

0 Kudos
denhow
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

When you sign in to Sling using the Roku on-screen keyboard there is a 'show password' option (the eye thing). Did you use that to verify that your password was entered correctly? Are you sure you aren't running into a uppercase/lowercase issue or a 0/O/o confusion?

0 Kudos