Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Roku ultra plays everything in 4k except for Disney

@Thebackson 

You are at least at the correct support site now (Disney+), but if you want them to change their "4K requires HDR" policy, you need to chat/call/give feedback.

If you had done a little research/searching, you'd see that has come up before:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DisneyPlus/comments/fq4gvr/4k_without_hdr/

"FYI, I've just got off a chat with Disney Plus support and 4K is only supported with HDR.

I was having problems getting 4K streaming to work while using an Xbox One X with a 4K PC monitor, they told me it's because the 4K stream is only a 4K HDR stream and my monitor doesn't have HDR somits defaulting to the HD stream.

Just a heads up for anyone wanting Disney Plus in 4K to make sure your TV/Monitor is 4K HDR10 60hz to avoid disappointment."

FTR, the "no 4K without HDR" policy/technical requirement/limitation has existed since Disney+ launched back in November of 2019, so good luck getting them to change it...perhaps you'll be the one.

In the meantime, you could always try manually configuring your Display type = 4K HDR TV and see what results...

0 Kudos
Thebackson
Binge Watcher

Sorry reddit is not official disney policy.  Just because some random person on the internet posts something 2 years ago from some first level tech support person said to get them off the phone with them to pass the buck does not mean it is official policy.  If you have some sort of source on the disney plus website, im going to go with the 2nd level escalation support person I talked with at roku support who said it should be working.  There is nothing on the disney site that says HDR is required for 4k. That would be a stupid policy and only lowers the quality of thier product and no other streaming company does this. 

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@Thebackson 

Thats true, Reddit is not "offical Disney policy" - its a website with an entire thread about the "no 4K without HDR" Disney+ policy, including all sorts of recounted customer service interactions, from two years ago.

As I already suggested multiple times, you need to speak to Disney+ support about it (which you havent done yet), and are strangely avoiding for some reason - they can inform you of the HDR requirement for 4K.

Roku tech support (2nd-level or not) cant in any way address Disney+ policy, including requiring HDR for 4K - only Disney+ support can address that.  Again, this insistence and persistence with wasting your time with Roku Support instead of Disney+ Support for a Disney+ streaming policy issue wont get you any closer to more information or a resolution.

Refusing to acknowledge the provided information about the "no 4K without HDR" policy of Disney+ because "its a stupid policy" and "no other streaming company" does this also wont get you any closer to a resolution (you wont be changing their policy):  You can either accept the HD playback resolution or get a 4K HDR-capable display device (or one that provides HDR EDID and SDR tone mapping) - those are you only real choices.

To repeat one last time:  "no 4K without HDR" is a Disney+ technical policy that impacts streaming playback on ALL PLATFORMS (that includes RokuOS, Fire TV OS, Android, Android TV, WebOS, Tizen, EtcOS) - this has absolutely nothing to do with Roku (or Roku Support), and you need to direct your support efforts at the correct party:  Disney+

0 Kudos
Thebackson
Binge Watcher

I actually have talked with disney support for over an hour and said in my original post that I contacted them and after troubleshooting they referred me to roku support.  They said it should be working and referred me to the device manufacturer for further troubleshooting.  They made no mention of any requirements above hdcp 2.2 4k 60hz connection and have no policies on their website requiring it. 

0 Kudos
Faz1

Disney+ works in 4k on Roku, you just need to go to roku settings and change display type to 4k 60hrz Hdr. YOU Probably have setting at 4k 60hrz only. This worked for me. 

0 Kudos
Thebackson
Binge Watcher

@Faz1 It will not work.  I have already talked directly with the Roku app engineers and they confirmed with disney that it will not work.  Disney is the only app that requires the 4k tv to also be an HDR tv in order to play 4k. Netflix, amazon, vudu , youtube, Apple+ and all the others will play just fine in 4k but if your 4k tv is not also HDR Disney will not play in 4k. This was duplicated by the roku engineers and is confirmed to be working as intended according to Disney. 

And since this post is pretty old I have already returned the roku since they sole purpose of it was to play disney+ in 4k.  Since it does not do that and any future tv I get will have the disney+ app on it there is no purpose to having the roku. 

0 Kudos