Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thebackson
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku ultra plays everything in 4k except for Disney

Not all 4k smart TV's have the Disney+ app.  If I had the Disney+ app on my tv I would not have bought the Roku.  If that were the case, then no one would need to get a Roku ultra 4k if all 4k TVs had the app.

My tv has Netflix, Vudu, prime, and others that all play in 4k, those apps are also all playing in 4k through the Roku.  I also have a Sony 4k Blu-ray player which is my preferred method for watching 4k but it also does not have a Disney plus app on it. 

the Disney+ service is relatively new 2.5 years.   And the apps are not available on all devices.

As I am trying to watch the marvel tv series in 4k and they are not on Blu-ray I had to get a Roku or a new tv.  As a Roku ultra is probably meant for people in my situation.    But I guess your point is I should just return the Roku and buy a new 4k tv exclusively so I can watch Disney in 4k?  that doesn't make any sense. 

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Just because Disney plus is not on your smart tv doesn't mean that there is not a way for you to install the Disney plus app on your tv.

0 Kudos
Thebackson
Binge Watcher

I gather from what you are saying is that Disney Plus 4k on a roku ultra will only work if you have a tv that already has a disney plus app .  that is not a very good business model. 

Sweet, I found the mute option for individuals of the roku community.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@Thebackson 

How are you determining you only get HD playback instead of 4K with Disney+ 4K taqged content? D+ content tagging only shows AV quality/formats that the current device configuration supports.

Disney+ does not have playback quality indicators, and the Roku upscales all non-4K content to 4K when the Display type is detected/configured for 4K.

0 Kudos
Thebackson
Binge Watcher

@UserOfStreamers wrote:

@Thebackson 

How are you determining you only get HD playback instead of 4K with Disney+ 4K taqged content? D+ content tagging only shows AV quality/formats that the current device configuration supports.

Disney+ does not have playback quality indicators, and the Roku upscales all non-4K content to 4K when the Display type is detected/configured for 4K.

Please dont ask such condescending questions.  I am fully aware of what upscaling is and just about every 4k device has it in some form or another and if it was the same as 4k , no one would need 4k media.

My home theater runs through a pioneer elite vsx-90.   hdmi ports 1 and 2 on it are 4k 60hz hdcp 2.2 compliant.   

I have been watching movies in 4k from my sony UBP-x800 4k bluray player for years which requires a hdcp 2.2 connection 

UBP-X800 / UBP-UX80 (sony.com)  page 11 of the manual.

My the roku ultra also has a hdcp 2.2 connection

It plays Netflix in 4k atmos without issues

It plays Vudu in UHD atmos without issues

It plays amazon prime in 4k/UHD atmos without issues.

It plays youtube videos at 4k 60fps(60hz) without issues.

The reason it plays all those is because all of them use the same industry standards so consumers do not have to guess at which devices may or may not be compatible.

Disney however is only playing in 1080 hd as it says in the app settings and on the play settings of all the 4k content.  

Something is wrong with the Disney app on the roku player and pointing the finger in my direction is not going to be the solution.  If EVERYTHING ELSE works except the 1 app, then the issue is the 1 app, not the customers setup. 

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@Thebackson 

The questions were asked because the answers are necessary in order to assist you (that's the purpose of a user to user support board).

No one suggested you didnt know what upscaling is/was, the question was: "how are you determining that you are only getting HD playback with Disney?" (..since the only effective way is via content tagging).

FTR, Disney+ only supports 4K ("4K Ultra HD" content tagging) when a 4K HDR/DV Display type is detected/configured (e.g. Display type = 4K HDR 30hz TV or 4K HDR TV).

If the content tagging in the Disney+ app is showing "HD" and not "4K Ultra HD", then that indicates you  have a 4K NON-HDR Display type detected/configured , and Disney+ wont output 4K (due to the lack of HDR support). 

In other words, Disney+ only supports 4K output when the display is also capable of HDR (HDR10/DV)This applies to the Disney+ app on all platforms.

This is entirely a Disney policy/choice/decision (no 4K without HDR), and not an issue with Roku hardware/software.

Roku support was entirely correct in redirecting you to Disney, which apparently is unaware/untrained about their own 4K output policy.

You need to complain to Disney about this 4K playback policy if you want it changed:

https://help.disneyplus.com/csp

0 Kudos
wildsprite
Roku Guru

@Thebackson wrote:

Roku support wants me to talk to disney, disney points me back to roku support.  It is poor customer service to put the customer in the middle of a software engineering problem that should be hashed out between the roku and disney software engineers

@Thebackson This is a Disney issue not a Roku issue. That they would try to pass it back to Roku is baffling. by what you said 4k @60hz works with pretty much everything else right? that means it is working on the part of Roku and not the part of Disney. Disney makes the app not Roku and if they aren't willing to tell you they are working on it rather than trying to tell you Roku needs to fix it that speaks volumes for their support

@UserOfStreamers wrote:

FTR, Disney+ only supports 4K ("4K Ultra HD" content tagging) when a 4K HDR/DV Display type is detected/configured (e.g. Display type = 4K HDR 30hz TV or 4K HDR TV).

If the content tagging in the Disney+ app is showing "HD" and not "4K Ultra HD", then that indicates you  have a 4K NON-HDR Display type detected/configured , and Disney+ wont output 4K (due to the lack of HDR support). 

In other words, Disney+ only supports 4K output when the display is also capable of HDR (HDR10/DV)This applies to the Disney+ app on all platforms.

This is entirely a Disney policy/choice/decision (no 4K without HDR), and not an issue with Roku hardware/software.

Roku support was entirely correct in redirecting you to Disney, which apparently is unaware/untrained about their own 4K output policy.

@UserOfStreamers This explains a lot. To me it says Disney doesn't understand their audience as much as they think they so, it's ridiculous

Thebackson
Binge Watcher

I finally got a 2nd level support person with roku support.  We were able to confirm that it is not working as designed and you should be able to stream disney in 4k with a 4k tv with a hdcp 2.2 connection even if it is not a HDR tv.  He was able to duplicate the issue on his side and is sending a ticket to the roku engineers to work with the disney engineers to find out what is going on. No ETR though. 

My faith in roku support has been restored. 

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@Thebackson 

Unfortunately your praise for Roku Support is misplaced.

Roku didnt create/design/implement Disney's policy of "no 4K without HDR", and in fact the Disney+ app is working "as designed" (by Disney) to not provide 4K without HDR - Roku support personnel are apparently unaware of this Disney policy and are wasting their and your time.

Again, this Disney policy of "no 4K without HDR" for Disney+ impacts all platforms (RokuOS/Android/Android TV/WebOS/Tizen/etc), so you need to focus your efforts/energy on getting Disney to change it (its their policy).

Thebackson
Binge Watcher

I looked through disneys support site and could not find any mention of no 4k without hdr.  Do you have a link to that ?

0 Kudos