Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Musetoo
Channel Surfer

Roku stick home screen menu missing items

I have a Roku Express plugged into a Sony Smart TV. Usually my home screen menu includes "what to watch" and "featured free," but periodically those two categories disappear. Last time it happened I did a software update, and the time before that I did a reset, and that helped. This time neither one is helping and those two categories are just gone.

Why does this keep happening???!! How do I get it to stop, and how do I get those categories back?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku stick home screen menu missing items

I can't say why they seem to come and go, but you can enable/disable them under Settings->Home screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
APeay
Channel Surfer

I had the same problem.

From the back of the Roku express, press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds. This will run you through the initial set up of the Roku, including the remote. Afterwards the menu items were all there. You may have to re-login (a.k.a., authenticate) some of your apps like Netflix.

it would be nice if Roku would let us know why this happens

0 Kudos
Musetoo
Channel Surfer

The only way I could "fix" it was to do a factory reset, and then it only stayed fixed for a couple days. I tried another Roku Express and had the same issue. I'm pretty sure it was a software programming issue. I upgraded to the Roku 4K streaming Stick. It's been 2 months, fingers crossed, so far so good.

0 Kudos
APeay
Channel Surfer

It’s been a day and I haven’t had any problems after reset. It looks like Roku did a software update. When I look at the build ID instead of it being 4312 it’s now 4312 – CX. It may be that Roku were running some test builds and that is why I was experiencing the problem and now the full build is out. We shall see. Hopefully everything will be well from this point on.

0 Kudos