Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pitbullmama6
Binge Watcher

Roku says movie is free when it isnt

I've noticed a lot that I look for a movie and have Roku follow it to notify me when it's on.  It does and says Free with Subscription.  I click on it and it's only available to rent.  Roku customer service was worthless and didn't seem to understand.  If a movie is only for rent it will save available for rent and not free with subscription.  Guessing it's an error with Roku.  Anyone have any success resolving this.  It happens to me multiple times per week.

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Roku says movie is free when it isnt

I'm going to guess it's allegedly free on Vudu.

Pitbullmama6
Binge Watcher

Interesting...when I go to vudu it only comes up as a rental so you may be right that it was free on there at some point and it's not getting updated correctly.  It's been like this for months.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

To my knowledge, Vudu does not have a subscription model. They offer rental or purchase of media for streaming purposes, and also maintains a library of physical media you've purchased that has a digital access code, allowing streaming from them. So the original information saying "free with subscription" doesn't seem to fit with Vudu. Netflix and Hulu are two with the subscription model, while Prime Video is a subscription model that also offers titles for rental or sale. 

Vudu does offer some free content to view, but it doesn't require a subscription and the video includes ads/commercials. Are you certain the offer wasn't for Hulu, not Vudu?

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Pitbullmama6
Binge Watcher

Yes, so for normally for rental only movies the Roku will say "available for rent" then I click on the title and it will give me various sources to choose how to rent,(Vudu, Redbox etc).  It is only supposed to say "free with subscription" if I can click on it and then it should provide me a list of subscriptions(Prime, Netflix etc) to watch said movie on or purchase the subscription to watch said movie.  In this case the movie is The Orphanage and Roku says free with subscription, but when I click on it it only gives me option to rent it on Prime, Vudu etc.  Occasionally, it will do the opposite and say available to rent and when I click on it I see several free with subscription to watch it. Seems like there is a disconnect between how Roku is getting the info or how the apps are relaying it to the Roku search results. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Pitbullmama6 wrote:

... The Orphanage and Roku says free with subscription, but when I click on it it only gives me option to rent it on Prime, Vudu etc. ...

Huh. I see two movies with that name, one from 2008 and one from 2019. Neither says anything about a subscription. Both offer rental options.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Pitbullmama6
Binge Watcher

16447587202426318863018003139374.jpg

16447587466167382783495209866769.jpg

0 Kudos
Pitbullmama6
Binge Watcher

Guessing it must be an error with my Roku.  The odd thing is this happens on all my Rokus.  

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Pitbullmama6 

Not necessarily. It could be the Feed functionality. Or it could be the service giving bad data to Roku for the Feed.

You see, I searched for the movie and found it for rent. I never put it in Feed, so I never saw what you saw. Your posting those pictures helped clarify things greatly.

It may be best to have @RokuKariza-D , @RokuDanny-R , @RokuMary-F or other from Roku look into it deeper. They've been tagged and will get notification of this thread, and can look deeper behind the scenes.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Pitbullmama6
Binge Watcher

Awesome! Thanks so much for your help

0 Kudos