Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LarryDi

Roku removed Local TV Channel App

Until yesterday we had an app running call What's On TV. Today it's gone. No Roku TV (so I can't configure Roku for local over the air TV Channels in my area). Using Roku's model 4800X (aka "Ultra"), which BTW is not any better for us than a Roku 3 was. 

Is anyone aware of a way I can get local TV Channel program listings through Roku? I have searched all of the available apps on Roku and have not found one. Again, this is NOT a Roku TV it is a TV hooked to a Roku "Ultra". 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Roku removed Local TV Channel App

Roku has removed all Private Channels. After 10+ years of existence with tens of thousands of users, the What's On Channel is now dead. I have no plans to resurrect it in any form on the Roku. It was a channel that I originally developed for personal use, but decided to allow others to use it too. I haven't used it myself in years, and I'm surprised it's worked as long as it has. For TV listings, I now use the free "TV Listings Plus" app by Phu Tan Ta on my iPhone.

https://github.com/belltown/
0 Kudos
Eugene1
Reel Rookie

What's On app:  It was a great app that was easy to setup and use. My family relied on this app for about 10 years ever since we started using Roku.  Also, I had heard from some people that the larger text and simple grid format, on a full tv screen, was much easier to read and follow than many smart phone apps.  Is there any way this app can be brought back to ROKU in some form?  Thank You

0 Kudos
rivercity
Channel Surfer

Belltown, I never used the What's On app, but I've been using your SimpleAudioStreamer for years and am very unhappy to lose it. It let me stream the music from my PC to my stereo using a Roku player, and I could use my preferred music program for playlists and control. So far I'm not finding anything comparable to replace it.

0 Kudos
bbonz
Reel Rookie

We really thought it was GREAT! And what a nice thing to do for people. Simple  and accurate. So sorry.     I  would have contributed $ to keep it.  😞    Bonnie