Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kyle_Vance
Reel Rookie

Roku media player numeric sort option?

I recently got an external hard drive and put a bunch of files on it to be able to watch via my Roku media player. However when I checked it the video files they are not in the order I put them in?

Can a numeric sort option be added as an update to be able to play episodes of a show in order? I've tried sorting it z to a a to z and default and it's not in the order I put them on the drive. Do I have to simply title it 1 2 3 etc?

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
SanDan1213
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku media player numeric sort option?

I have the same issue.  If you number them 1 2 3 etc.. it only works to number 9.

Once you reach 10 11 12 etc.. the order will read 1 , 10 , 11 ,12  etc then it will finally hit 2 3 4 and so on. 

they really need to add a numeric sorting.  thats the only way this will be fixed. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

You should number them 01, 02, 03... or even 001, 002, 003...

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
SanDan1213
Reel Rookie

I have tried that but it works the same as 1 2 3 4 and so on. Let’s say you have 20 items.   And you number 1-20 it will sort it 

01, 010, 011, 012 - 020, 02, 03, - 09

thats how it will show.  Having a number in front only works 1-9.  10 and beyond doesn’t sort correctly. 

0 Kudos
renojim

You have to be consistent.  Either every name starts with 2 digits or it starts with 3 digits (i.e., 01, 02...10, 11.. or 001, 002, ... 010, 011...).  Don't mix 2 digits with 3 digits.

0 Kudos
Kyle_Vance
Reel Rookie

@renojim wrote:

You have to be consistent.  Either every name starts with 2 digits or it starts with 3 digits (i.e., 01, 02...10, 11.. or 001, 002, ... 010, 011...).  Don't mix 2 digits with 3 digits.

I will try that the next time I get the chance to mess with my external drive. My computer died on me so it may be a while

If by some chance that works thanks for that but I still think they should add a numeric sort option to fix this issue

If I recall though I had labeled it like this

001 then when I get to 10 and above I always made sure I had three digits but it's like somebody else said even then once it gets to 10 through even further even after adding the 0 beforehand it throws it off from that point forward

0 Kudos
SanDan1213
Reel Rookie

Hey Renojim, thanks so much. It did work. I just tried it a few hours ago and now every thing is in order. 

I just numbered my files by 2 digits 

01 -20 since I don’t have over 100 files I do t need the 3 digits. But once again text you much for the help really appreciate it. 
They should still add numeric sorting just so people won’t have to struggle with this issue. 

0 Kudos
samsuz
Reel Rookie

Question;

I have 1200 photos that I would like to sort - do i rename them *.00001 for exmaple?

0 Kudos
renojim

That's a lot of photos to manually number!  Usually your phone/camera will give them file names that will already put them in the order that you took the photos.

If you've renamed them to give them more descriptive names, you don't change the extension, you add a prefix to the file name.  For example, if you have three photos named "At the park.jpg", "At the beach.jpg", and "Somewhere else.jpg" and you want them sorted in that order you'd name them:

0001 - At the park.jpg
0002 - At the beach.jpg
0003 - Somewhere else.jpg

The " - " before the name isn't necessary, but it looks better.

0 Kudos
samsuz
Reel Rookie

yes, too many to manually rename )while appending the beginning of the file name.

BUT, I noticed if I highlight from the last picture to the first and then rename the first using "Name (1),jpg" it will renumber then ALL from 1 to 1000, etc.

BUT AGAIN, the ROKU Media Player shows them in this order: 1, 10, etc.

So.........any other batch renaming option?

0 Kudos