Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku deleted channels without notice

Jump to solution

The specific court case I can remember was located in Mexico, but I believe there have been others. But one case was enough for Roku to ensure they proactively remove any content that has been shown to be offered illegally. 

I'm still not saying that is what happened. The provider might have removed the channel themselves, and asked Roku to remove it from all devices. I don't know, and no one outside of Roku has said. But what I have explained is one potential reason, and Roku has every legal right to do so. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
ramin
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

so there's no court ruling in the state, and any other place other than Mexico. that proves my point that they don't want people tampering with a hardware they SOLD and were PAID money for. Exactly like what Apple does. They're basically owners of the device EVEN after charging you and they're just 'leasing' the device to you for full cost of manufacturing + sweet profits. Thank you

I'm going to bed, but i'll be speaking about this continuously in twitter, reddit and other platforms.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Yes, there is a court ruling. As I said, the one I specifically recall was in Mexico. They were prohibited for selling their devices in Mexico until they were able to show they would block/remove channels that were streaming media without legal permission. Plenty of stories on the web if you look for them.

I already gave you a link to the US end user license agreement, and highlighted the sentence that gives them the legal right to remove a channel from your device. If you don't want to believe it, well that's all fine and dandy. Have a nice evening, I'm heading for bed. 

Dan

0 Kudos
ramin
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

it's not a 'legal' right, it's a right they preserved for themselves when they wrote their own terms of agreement. no court was involved in that. that isn't how law works, and honestly I don't know why you keep defending a company you have no stake in.

I'm tired, gotta wake up early. I'll respond tomorrow.

0 Kudos
SaraH406

Jump to solution

I came on here to search this problem, and can tell you that yesterday Roku deleted all of my channels off of both my devices, leaving only YouTube, Philo and Spectrum.  So that means they deleted Hulu, Netflix, NBC, Pandora, Vudu, and maybe a couple others I rarely use.  So it definitely wasn't illegal streaming.  I'm irritated that I have to go back and re-log in to every one of those apps.  It's a pain in the behind and I don't know why they did it. 

0 Kudos
ramin
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Sara, lesson learned. don't buy stuff that are closed proprietary. buy open source softwares that operate on open source hardware. get an android box and install whatever you want on it, there are many apps that do the job. and Google doesn't delete your stuff.

0 Kudos
weston777
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have 3 roku ultras, yesterday all 3 had all the channels wiped out, I had to restore my channels on all 3 boxes. what is going on !

0 Kudos
mom2hip

Jump to solution

They have deleted:  Prime, Netflix, Acorn, Britbox, PBS.  I have had to reactivate each of them.  Go through user ID and password and going to my PC.  Then they have added 30 channels over a period of time that I did not want. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@mom2hip I'm not doubting this happened to you. But in my 10+ years of using a Roku device, I've never seen that happen. But if someone else is using your Roku, or if someone else has a Roku that's linked to your user account (or yours is linked to someone else's), then the other person is likely the one adding and removing channels. Remember, every device linked to the same account can add/remove channels across all of them. 

Dan

0 Kudos