Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martyepp
Channel Surfer

Roku channel will not play programming after local power outage

Jump to solution

While watching a Roku channel program(Medium), we experienced a brief power outage in the neighborhood.  When power was restored, I tried to resume watching the program in progress. I would click on "continue watching", only to have a brief "loading" period before returning to the previous screen.  I tried numerous other programs to no avail, all doing the same "loading" and returning to the previous screen.   All other channels on my Roku TV/devices play as normal.  Should I cancel my Roku account and start over, or should I unlink my devices, or should I try something else?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku channel will not play programming after local power outage

Jump to solution

@martyepp wrote:

... Sorry, I don't know if I'm using VPN.

Is someone else managing your network or installing devices? Your phone using your cellular service is able to get through. Even when you're signed in. That rules out your Roku account as a problem.

On your Roku and Web browser, both using your local network, you are unable to access. That smacks of a disruption on that network.

Tell you what, if you turn on your phone hotspot, then connect your Roku to it, I suspect you'll be able to stream Roku Channel.

Now, this isn't to say there's a VPN, PiHole, or some other DNS-screwing system. It could be that the outage did something weird to your network in some unexpected way that Roku is interpreting as something abnormal. Ad blockers on the network, such as PiHole, can often be the cause, if the system can detect them. But, it could be something quite innocent yet unexpected. The hotspot test will help determine if to go in that direction for a solution.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@martyepp 

Try something a little less drastic first.

1. Remove the app.
  2. Reboot the Roku.
  3. Reinstall the app.

All three steps in that order.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
martyepp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I unplugged both TV's. One is a Roku TV and the other has a Roku stick. On my account, the two TV's are linked.  I plugged the power back in to the Roku TV.  I removed the Roku channel, restarted the TV, and added the Roku channel.  It does the same thing.  I can select any program, go through the episodes, select and an episode, and click watch(or whatever the button says).  It briefly shows to be loading and then returns to previous screen.  I'm at a loss.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@martyepp wrote:

... I plugged the power back in to the Roku TV.  I removed the Roku channel, restarted the TV, and added the Roku channel. ...

Since it's a Roku TV, I just want to ensure how you performed the restart of the TV? You said you removed the app, then restarted the TV. My question is how? Did you turn it off and on again? Or did you use the menu system (Settings > System > Power > Restart)?

DBDukes

0 Kudos
martyepp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I used the menu system on the Roku TV.  My other TV has the Roku Express 4K+. The odd thing is, when I reinstall the Roku Channel on either TV, it does not seem to refresh.  The program I was watching at the time of the power outage shows where I left off watching when the power went off.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@martyepp 

This is a puzzler.

The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is to check and see what happens if you launch The Roku Channel from a Web browser. Go to The Roku Channel Website and log in. Does it keep up with Continue Watching or your Save List? And if you watch something via the Website, does the app keep up with that? (You may want to restart the Roku via the menu system and check a second time, just to be sure.)

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@martyepp  You can watch Medium on several different channels. Paramount+, The Roku Channel and PlutoTV. PlutoTV only offers 4 season though. Do all other shows and movies on the Roku Channel play nice? 

0 Kudos
martyepp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Anything I attempt to watch on the website brings up this error message-"An error occurred loading this page-Error:451.  I'm wondering if the program I was watching at the time of the original power outage somehow froze up the channel. I'm thinking I need to start all over with a new account and maybe get a fresh start, if that will work.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You don’t need to make a new account. Relax first of all. So this is only happening while trying to watch Medium on the Roku channel? All seasons? All episodes? Can you watch anything else on the Roku channel? Walk us through exactly what is happening. It’s not the end of the world. Relax

0 Kudos
martyepp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

no programs on the roku channel will load and play.  other channels on my roku stick and tv play.

0 Kudos