Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wesconnie

Roku changed my NBC station

Roku changed my NBC station from a local affiliate to one in another market far away. How can I change back to my local affiliate?

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku changed my NBC station

Roku itself didn't change anything. How are you watching that station? Is it using the NBC channel, inside YouTube TV, or some other method of accessing that station? Depending on the channel, your location, and the method used to assign your "local" station, is determined by your public IP address. Depending on how your ISP actually connects you to the Internet, that public address might be assigned to a geographic area far away from your actual location. My work Internet access is like that. I'm in Seattle, but I access the Internet through a connection based in Oklahoma City. So anything location based assumes I'm in OK. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Adding to @atc98092's reply, you can use a website like https://www.iplocation.net/ to see where the IP number assigned by your internet provider indicates you are located.

Also note that if you are connecting to the internet through a VPN this will change your apparent IP and location to that of the VPN's server.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
MissMandy
Reel Rookie

I am having the same problem.. For months now on my NBC App, I have a Roku, has offered me my local NBC station. About a week ago, my local station was gone and a Boston local station was in its place. I live in Vermont. It is not cool! The 2 stations do not play the same shows. I went to the IP address locator as another person suggested but it has the correct location in Vermont. I have tried everything. Roku, Direct TV, and the NBC App have all failed me. How can I get my station back?

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

So you were using the NBC channel on your Roku to watch your local NBC station? Is that correct? Well the NBC channel isn’t not free. To watch live content you need a TV provider. It even shows a code to link. 
6042D833-1303-465C-BCBA-95724379EFA4.jpeg

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

98A35182-BA21-4FA7-81DE-8B033C599883.jpeg

This is the channel you are using on your Roku?

0 Kudos
MissMandy
Reel Rookie

Direct TV is my tv service provider...and yes that looks like the same app that I have been using  for months. I know its not my IP address too bc I also have abc and cbs channels through direct tv on my Roku and those stations are still allowing me access to my local stations. It is just suddenly on my NBC App that is giving me an out of state local channel rather than my actual local station that I have been watching for almost a year now. Its quite the mystery really

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Why are you watching NBC through the NBC Channel on Roku and not on DirecTV? I pay for YouTube TV. So I watch NBC on YouTube TV. It’s not a Roku issue. Is your Roku zip code the same as your DirecTV zip code? Are you using a Roku TV of a Roku Streaming device? 

0 Kudos
Jakerx23

Was this ever resolved? I’m having the same issue here in Detroit. All of the sudden I can only get New Orleans local content. 

0 Kudos
RayInMI

I too am having the same issue, also in the Detroit area.  All of the suggestions about IP addresses and providers are not helpful.  This is strictly a "Roku to NBC" issue.  I get my local Detroit station with ABC.  I get my correct local station with PBS.  I get a Lousianna station with NBC.  Also, the Guide that comes up when I am on NBC Live shows the correct station identifier (WDIV).  That is not the staition I get.

I've done all the troubleshooting steps and nothing fixes it.  Roku needs to step up and accept that they have an issue with the NBC app and get it resolved.

0 Kudos