Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku blocking youtube age restricted videos since last week

@usfsafety42

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact Youtube support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach Youtube support here: https://support.google.com/youtube/#topic=9257498

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Salinas05

It has been figured out you have to update your birthday on your Google account through YouTube on your phone once you put the correct birthday you should be able to watch age restricted content 

KeezKeez

That doesn’t make since, it’s only happening on the Roku so how could it be a google issue when it works fine on every other platform. That seems like a Roku issue. If it was a google issue it would be happening when you try to access the app on other devices. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@KeezKeez wrote:

That doesn’t make since, it’s only happening on the Roku so how could it be a google issue when it works fine on every other platform. That seems like a Roku issue. If it was a google issue it would be happening when you try to access the app on other devices. 

It's a Google issue - they code their YT/YT TV client app(s) on Roku and every other platform, and they code and control their backend/servers too.

Not all platforms are equal, not all apps are equal across all platforms, and not all programming of all apps across all platforms is equal (hence why a particular issue may only happen on an app on one platform, and not others).

So what the issue "seems like" isn't "what it is":  Google-caused, and Google-fixed.

D_w_c_

I was having the same issue snd found the answer today. The problem was that my Google account that I was watching Youtube on did not have my birthdate filled in. Once I updated my Google account, the Youtube app on my roku immediately allowed age restricted videos.

vkapella
Channel Surfer

Added my birth year and it fixed the problem.  Previously only had my month and day.  

I have an easy fix.  Just goto your Google account via a browser (the same Google account you use for YouTube via Roku) and enter your date of birth.  

As soon as I did that just exit youtube on Roku and go back into youtube.  You will now have access to the age restricted material.  ROKU CANNOT FIX THIS FOR YOU BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR GOOGLE ACCOUNT.

JONATHAN 

vkapella
Channel Surfer

Yes, this is an issue if your birthdate is not set accurate on your Google account.  Just fix your birthdate and everything works.  

Jprophet2001
Channel Surfer

Yeah windows is microsoft

0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

@orestesdd wrote:

Since last week, Youtube app running on my Roku TV does NOT allow me to watch what youtube considers "restricted videos" because of age.  Before, I was able to watch any video using the Youtube Roku app, but now I am not able to.  I can't only watch such videos using my PC.  Note that this is also happening with my android devices, say Amazon Fire TV stick!  I'm 68 years old, and I know what I want to watch or not.  What the heck is Roku doing?  Is Roku now being owned by Donald Trump?

A very unsatisfied customer,

Orestes

I love how some people think there is a vast conspiracy here at Roku where Roku is trying to prevent people from using their devices. Roku isn't responsible for the development of the Youtube channel, or any other channel with the exception of it's own.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV