Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zuliman

Re: Roku blocking youtube age restricted videos since last week

I ran into this issue recently when some age-restricted videos showed up in my suggestions under my "brand" account. The videos were already from channels that I already subscribe to.

I tried the "age verification" route through my primary Google account (different from my YT "brand" account), but didn't experience any success even after changing my birth year and reverting it back. What finally worked was to add my primary Google account to my YouTube account on the YouTube app on Roku (I had already added my "brand" account, since that is the one I primarily use for YouTube and all its subscriptions to channels).

Hopefully this helps some of you out there.

TL;DR: add your primary Google account to the YouTube app on your Roku device (stick, box, TV, etc), and still use your "brand" account. If your birth year is set correctly in your primary Google account, then this should work.

carfniex

yeah, just confirming that signing in with your regular google account works. i was signed in with a youtube account that, when i went to the user selection page at the top was like username@google-pages-12312831823 or something. sign in with google account, remove that one, then i still have the choice to sign in under my real name, or the same youtube account but just called 'username'. remove the @google-pages-1231251231 and itll be back to normal

ST_Dog
Binge Watcher

@carfniex wrote:

yeah, just confirming that signing in with your regular google account works. i was signed in with a youtube account that, when i went to the user selection page at the top was like username@google-pages-12312831823 or something. sign in with google account, remove that one, then i still have the choice to sign in under my real name, or the same youtube account but just called 'username'. remove the @google-pages-1231251231 and itll be back to normal

So Google changed some things and they didn't migrate correctly. 

I have been signed in with both a long time (and 2 other accounts, my kids, using google.com addresses) 

I ran I to this age issue. So signed out of my account. Google and brand. Signed back in and now the accounts are displayed differently. 

The email address is listed then the account name and avatar under that. So both of my accounts are listed together where before they were not.

And now the age restriction is gone when selecting my brand account.

Why Google didn't just populate that way is beyond me. And the error message it was giving didn't really hint at it.

Plenty of room to say sign out of the brand account and sign in with goggle account again to resync brand account.

0 Kudos
kejordan13

I logged out and then back in to my youtube account on the roku app and it seemed to fix the issue.

0 Kudos