Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chunka
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku blocking youtube age restricted videos since last week

I believe you are exactly right. Wish they understood that these disputes are exactly why many of us left satellite and cable. 

0 Kudos
MSD13

This just happened to me on my TV with a Roku premier+ but not on my other devices. Recently I've been harassed by Google to add my birthday to my Google account. I did that just now and it immediately solved the problem.

demsd
Roku Guru

@orestesdd wrote:

Since last week, Youtube app running on my Roku TV does NOT allow me to watch what youtube considers "restricted videos" because of age.  Before, I was able to watch any video using the Youtube Roku app, but now I am not able to.  I can't only watch such videos using my PC.  Note that this is also happening with my android devices, say Amazon Fire TV stick!  I'm 68 years old, and I know what I want to watch or not.  What the heck is Roku doing?  Is Roku now being owned by Donald Trump?

A very unsatisfied customer,

Orestes

It has nothing to do with Roku, Inc. or the Roku app. A lot of people have complained about this since Google made the changes to accounts. Essentially everyone has two accounts. One is your Google account, which apparently will restrict videos. The other is your Youtube account that has all your likes, subscriptions, playlists, etc.

There are two things to try:

First, make sure your birth date is in your Google profile.

The second is to log out of the Youtube app and log back in ensuring that you select the correct account.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
demsd
Roku Guru

@usfsafety42 wrote:

No. I signed into my account that I have had for years that has no restrictions and ROKU is blocking it. Stop making it seem like this isn’t a ROKU issue when it clearly is.

Insist it is until you are blue in the face. It's not Roku.

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
demsd
Roku Guru

@KeezKeez wrote:

That doesn’t make since, it’s only happening on the Roku so how could it be a google issue when it works fine on every other platform. That seems like a Roku issue. If it was a google issue it would be happening when you try to access the app on other devices. 

Seem: To give the impression of being in a certain way

It might seem that way but it's not a Roku issue. If it were, wouldn't most of us have the same issue?? Otherwise, it would seem as though Roku is singling people out, which would be utterly bizarre don't you think?

40" TCL Roku TV
50" TCL Roku TV
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MSD13,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

For this issue, we recommend contacting Youtube directly to follow up for more help. They’ll be able to best assist with any issues and functionality inquiries. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

You can reach them here: https://support.google.com/youtube/?hl=en#topic=9257498

Many thanks,

Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MD73

Dan it's not Google it's when linked to a Roku device is when it happens that is what everyone is trying to get across. In reality who is more likely to glitch, Google or Roku? It's simple. 

0 Kudos
MD73

I'm not a newbie either, why they chose to label me that sucks. Smh. 

0 Kudos

i just put my year of my dob on my google account & it fixed my issue. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@MD73 wrote:

Dan it's not Google...

Yes, it is. Your Google account must have your birth year in your data. And if you have the date entered and you still get blocked, Google is responsible for the YouTube application on Roku devices. Roku themselves have no control over how any channel works on their devices, with the exception of The Roku channel and Roku Media Player. Those two channels are the only ones Roku has functional control over. 

It doesn't matter if it works on different devices. Different platforms use different programming languages, so cross-platform comparisons are not valid. It's Google's application and coding, so they are the only ones that can address the issue. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos