Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
orestesdd
Binge Watcher

Roku blocking youtube age restricted videos since last week

Since last week, Youtube app running on my Roku TV does NOT allow me to watch what youtube considers "restricted videos" because of age.  Before, I was able to watch any video using the Youtube Roku app, but now I am not able to.  I can't only watch such videos using my PC.  Note that this is also happening with my android devices, say Amazon Fire TV stick!  I'm 68 years old, and I know what I want to watch or not.  What the heck is Roku doing?  Is Roku now being owned by Donald Trump?

A very unsatisfied customer,

Orestes

93 REPLIES 93
optikhog
Roku Guru

Re: Roku blocking youtube age restricted videos since last week

Why is it you believe this has anything to do with Roku, especially since it is also happening on other devices as well?

Would you complain to Microsoft because you had the same problem on a Windows PC?

Seems to me that you would want to reach out to YouTube for guidance. 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Google (who owns YouTube) has always had a function to restrict mature content if there's no user account configured. If you are watching YT in guest mode, they have no idea who you are, so they block such content. But that isn't anything new. As @optikhog mentioned, that's not something that Roku is controlling. It's completely under Google control.

If you want unrestricted YT access, you must log into YT with a user account that they have verified to allow mature content. It sounds to me like you were logged in previously, but for whatever reason the app logged you out. Since it's doing it with your Fire Stick, that should be another clue it isn't Roku doing it.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
troutfish
Reel Rookie

same here,  If i use the account i have had since 2007 the roku app blocks age restricted videos but if I log onto the account that google created for me when they tried to force people to use their real names on youtube it doesn't block it.  This only happens with the roku app and not when i am using a web browser on my pc.

PlayLoud
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same issue. If I go to my PC's browser, it lets me get through the age-restriction. It fails on the Roku app. I don't know who's responsible for this (Google or Roku), but it's unacceptable.

atc98092

@PlayLoud wrote:

I'm having the same issue. If I go to my PC's browser, it lets me get through the age-restriction. It fails on the Roku app. I don't know who's responsible for this (Google or Roku), but it's unacceptable.

It's nothing under the control of Roku. You have to talk with Google about it. 

Dan

Akel42
Channel Surfer

Same here. About to throw away this **bleep** Roku tv anyway. Between the menu blinding me with the bright white icons and now this **bleep**. I'm almost 40 years old. The Youtube account is NOT age restricted. It works just fine on mobile or PC, but try to watch on Roku and it's just errors. You accept the age resrtriction and click that you wish to proceed and the app just crashes. If it doesnt crash it asks you to submit a report but nothing is done or fixed. Sick of Roku. 

And I'M supposed to reach out to google and youtube and try to get ahold of someone to fix this? THIS IS YOUR PLATFORM. YOU REACH OUT TO GOOGLE and YOUTUBE! That's YOUR job. Your voice reaching out to them with almost 2 million people is way more than my one voice begging to be heard. 

This is UNACCEPTABLE roku. It's been happening for close to a month now if you search

Akel42
Channel Surfer

You're wrong Dan. How about reading the replies and the posts instead of blaming the user. There is something wrong functionally with the app. The correct account is logged in. The correct settings are checked. The account IS NOT restricted. Multiple people reporting the same thing cannot be user erro

atc98092

@Akel42 wrote:

You're wrong Dan. How about reading the replies and the posts instead of blaming the user. There is something wrong functionally with the app. The correct account is logged in. The correct settings are checked. The account IS NOT restricted. Multiple people reporting the same thing cannot be user error

I don't dispute there's an issue with the app. I wasn't blaming the user, simply pointing out a possible resolution.

But I'm not wrong that it's not Roku's responsibility. Google is solely responsible for their channel programming. There's nothing that Roku can do from their end, other than perhaps try to bring it to their attention. For all we know, they've done that, but we'll never know. But they have no power of Google or any other developer to fix issues. See their current argument with HBO over the new Max channel. They most likely aren't going to win that one either. 

Dan

Akel42
Channel Surfer

I see what you are saying, but THEY need to solve this. Their admins don't even reply or acknowledge the issue. At least say that "We know there is an issue and are actively working to resolve" Nothing. Silence. Leaving the user to try to figure it out. That's unacceptable