Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
happy_camper
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku basically a paper weight as signs me out of multiple apps all the time!

I agree the sharing might be the cause of a few, but that doesn't explain how apps that no one else my log in info have also been doing it (logging me out), and I don't get signed out of Hulu and HBO on my other devices (all same account), only on the Roku.  It seems that each device must be storing the log in information locally or somewhere and only this Roku seems to reset or forget my credentials.  I am glad you don't have this challenge and I didn't on my older Roku, but something seems off about this particular unit.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku basically a paper weight as signs me out of multiple apps all the time!

@happy_camper wrote:

I agree the sharing might be the cause of a few, but that doesn't explain how apps that no one else my log in info have also been doing it (logging me out), and I don't get signed out of Hulu and HBO on my other devices (all same account), only on the Roku.  It seems that each device must be storing the log in information locally or somewhere and only this Roku seems to reset or forget my credentials.  I am glad you don't have this challenge and I didn't on my older Roku, but something seems off about this particular unit.

Sharing certainly is an explanation for some of the channels, but not all. I have a 4800 and in the almost two years I've had it I've never seen that behavior. I know it's a bit of a pain, but since you're constantly logging back into many of your channels, you at least have the process down. 🙂 A factory reset might clear out some stray corruption, and then set it up again from scratch. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@happy_camper 

If the device is less than a year old, it is still under warranty. Keep that in mind as  you troubleshoot.

Since some apps (Netflix, for instance) keep logins, that would seem to indicate it's not a basic issue with the device. But more troubleshooting could still point to the device.

You didn't say what interval there is between occurrences. For example, if you stopped using the device at 1:00, would it exhibit the issue at 1:15? 1:30? 2:00? Or would it take longer, such as 6:00, 8:00, or 10:00?

While Roku devices don't really turn off, some do go into a low power/sleep mode. Check Settings > System > Power and see if there is a setting there that can disable low power/sleep/whatever mode.

One other thing. And I'm asking because I've actually seen this. It's behavior I'm not one to do, but apparently many users operate this way.

When you exit the app, how do you exit? Some like to use the Back button until they are on the main menu. Others simply press Home button to exit an app. I'm in the Home button camp. Some apps -- and I don't know which because I just don't do it this way, but have seen it with others -- don't simply exit via Back, but will also log out using this method. I'm not thinking this is the cause, because I don't think most apps work this way, but it is something to check. If you are a Home button exit person, this doesn't apply. And, in the meantime, become a Home button exit user. At least until troubleshooting is done.

If, to this point, nothing I've mentioned helps, then let's look at the individual apps. Pick one. Any one that has the issue; that is, doesn't keep your login. Say Disney+.

Remove the app. Reboot the Roku. Then, reinstall the app. Do not rearrange the order of those steps. It's remove, reboot, reinstall. Gotta be that order.

Now, log in. See if the issue returns. If not, do this for each of the problem apps. If it does return, we gotta think of something else. By then, perhaps, others with useful suggestions may come by and hit on something that helps.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

happy_camper
Channel Surfer

@DBDukesthank you!  I think these are great suggestions and points and I am basically going to redo them all (in your order) and start from scratch. If that doesn't fix it then it is still under a year old (and my CC doubles the warranty) so I will see what all is involved in maybe getting it replaced.  I've never had to deal with Roku support before so not sure if they are easy or a nightmare.

0 Kudos
Vakko
Roku Guru

@happy_camper  It would be best to log out of "all devices" from within in channels website. Change your passwords. Only log into each channel on your Roku. See what happens. Do not log out when your done watching a channel. Just press the home button. 

0 Kudos