Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raharris11
Channel Surfer

Roku Ultra - dying on the same commercial on Prime Video, but not every time

I recently got a new Ultra to replace my older Roku 4.  When watching shows on Prime Video (specifically Caribbean Life on discovery+ through a Prime subscription) sometimes the video just stops.  The audio may stop for a bit, but then starts back with the video still frozen.  I think that when it happens it is always in the same place of the same discovery+ commercial - Alex vs. America, or something like that.  But it doesn't happen every time it plays that commercial...unless there are some different versions of the commercial that use the same sequence when it dies.  It takes a reboot for it to work properly again.  I can sometimes get it to go back to the show selection but hitting resume just gets a blank screen.  I have tried removing the channel, rebooting the device, and adding it back...but it happened again after doing that.  Any ideas?  Is it a problem with the hardware?  Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this...

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
raharris11
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Ultra - dying on the same commercial on Prime Video, but not every time

Since I have gotten a reply from Roku Support or anyone else, should I contact customer service (If I can figure out how to do that)?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra - dying on the same commercial on Prime Video, but not every time

Hi @raharris11
Thank you for the inquiry!

Does the issue only occur on Prime Video or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Have you tried removing the affected channel Prime Video and then re-install again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
raharris11
Channel Surfer

Hi @RokuLianna  - I had tried most everything you suggested here (except restarting my router) before posting, but I did go ahead and restarted the router, uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled the channel again, but it didn't help.  I just had the same problem on the same spot on the same ad.  It is weird.  I not have a problem using my WebOS client on the TV itself or on a Firestick 4K.  If you have any other ideas I am anxious to hear them or what my next steps should be.  It is a little disappointing to upgrade to the latest/greatest and to introduce a new problem....

Thanks!

Randy

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi  @raharris11

Thanks for keeping in touch!

Many channels on Roku are maintained by the channel provider themselves. Since the error only occurs with an ad on the Prime Video channel, that's an indication that there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them. We indeed recommend contacting Prime Video Support to report the issue and get help.

Thank you for your understanding.

Warm Regards,

Lianna

0 Kudos
raharris11
Channel Surfer

Thank you for the reply, @RokuLianna.  Since this is for a discovery+ channel through Prime Video I don't see any way that I will get this to the right people there, so I will just watch it on my Firestick and/or through the smart app on my TV...life is too short.  I really wish that I liked the Ultra as much as my 4. Anyway, have a great day and thanks for engaging.  

0 Kudos