Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csmith2019

Roku Search - not showing results that include available options

Jump to solution

New to this, first search (Dec 10, 2019 if it helps) I audio search for "John Wick 2" and my only option is "Rent on Google Play for $5" or "Follow this movie on Roku" even though it is free to watch on Amazon Prime which I have installed and activated.

It seems like certain apps are being excluded from the voice search.

If I use justwatch, John Wick Chapter 2 shows up on a ton of streaming services including Amazon Video.

Am a bit confused as to what I may be doing wrong...

Thanks for reading this.

C

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Search - not showing results that include available options

Jump to solution

@csmith2019 @kmac1 

Thanks for the note here. There are a few considerations to note here: 

- Channels decide whether or not to include their content in Roku global search results. Rok,u does not limit this. If a channel chooses not to include their content in Search, they will not appear as an option to watch. You would need to contact the specific channel provider directly to inquire further, and share any feedback. 

- There may be a technical issue with the channel's content information that is provided to Roku. We would recommend contacting the channel provider to report the issue so they can investigate. We can also help pass along feedback to the channel provider if you provide specific examples, but in this case, they may need to resolve an issue on their end. 

- If you are using a Roku device that is linked to a Roku account created in a different region, such as using a device on a Canadian Roku account inside the US, some services may be affected or unexpected behavior can occur. In this case, you'd need to create a new Roku account in the region in which you are located, factory reset your device, then link it to the new account. This may resolve channel, content or search issues that you may encounter in this scenario. 

- There may be an actual issue with Roku Search results on your device. If you've already spoken to the channel provider, and aren't able to resolve the issue after they've investigated, please provide specific details about the content that you do not see appearing in Search, and we can confer with the team to see if there is an issue that needs to be addressed. 

Please keep us posted accordingly and I'd be happy to help take a closer look where needed. 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
kmac1
Reel Rookie

Roku Search - not showing results that include available options

Jump to solution

When I search for a movie from the Roku Search screen, the results seem to never be accurate.  Particularly, it is not showing results that include "channels"  that I am PAYING for (disney+, netflix, hulu etc..)

I am starting to wonder if Roku is not the impartial player in the game they say they are. Or if this is a technical problem is there any solution?

Any advice here? It is very frustrating and basically makes search useless.

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@csmith2019 @kmac1 

Thanks for the note here. There are a few considerations to note here: 

- Channels decide whether or not to include their content in Roku global search results. Rok,u does not limit this. If a channel chooses not to include their content in Search, they will not appear as an option to watch. You would need to contact the specific channel provider directly to inquire further, and share any feedback. 

- There may be a technical issue with the channel's content information that is provided to Roku. We would recommend contacting the channel provider to report the issue so they can investigate. We can also help pass along feedback to the channel provider if you provide specific examples, but in this case, they may need to resolve an issue on their end. 

- If you are using a Roku device that is linked to a Roku account created in a different region, such as using a device on a Canadian Roku account inside the US, some services may be affected or unexpected behavior can occur. In this case, you'd need to create a new Roku account in the region in which you are located, factory reset your device, then link it to the new account. This may resolve channel, content or search issues that you may encounter in this scenario. 

- There may be an actual issue with Roku Search results on your device. If you've already spoken to the channel provider, and aren't able to resolve the issue after they've investigated, please provide specific details about the content that you do not see appearing in Search, and we can confer with the team to see if there is an issue that needs to be addressed. 

Please keep us posted accordingly and I'd be happy to help take a closer look where needed. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Littlec
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Roku Premier Ultra HD is no longer showing results for Netflix when I search for particular actors or directors, it only shows Netflex is I search for a movie or TV show by title.  This started about 10 days ago.  I had a chat with Netflix and they said it's not something from their end since the search within the Netflix app is working.  For example, if I search the Netflix app for "Brad Pitt" movies six titles appear, one of them being a Netflix original movie.  If I search for "Brad Pitt" movies on Roku, none of those six titles available on Netflix are shown in the search result.  But, if I search using the name of the movie the titles that are available on Netflix appear in the search.  If I search in Roku for movies directed by Quentin Tarantino it doesn't show any of them as being available on Netflix.  If I search by the name of the movie Roku will include the titles that are available on Netflix.  I hope I have provided enough details so that the Roku team can take a look at this issue.

jkd
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Roku's incomplete search results are worthless! They need to be comprehensive. If I used only Roku search, instead of JustWatch, I could end up paying for a movie that I get for free with one of my subscriptions!

Littlec
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for your suggestion.

LVdprrhs
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I understand the replies to users pertaining to searches for other channels, but a search on a show that actually appears on Roku's Live Channel returning as "*Not on Roku yet" has got to be a bug.  I accidentally found this simply browsing, after I'd already decided to buy the DVD box set of this show. Smiley Frustrated I wouldn't've bothered to spend that money if the search had properly returned the truth.

PTL_Not_On_ROKU.jpg

PTLonROKU1.jpg

I really hope they give this some attention; thanks for reading.

armadillo76
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’ve noticed this too. Before, I could search many more channels to see if a movie is available. Now it gives me applets, prime, Vidu and a couple others. It’s a pain to have to check every single service I pay for to see if a movie is available free. Oh well. Price of technology. 

mansart
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

A feature like this is either comprehensive or it's useless. Unfortunately, this one is useless. Roku should either fix it or remove it. Having a broken feature like this just causes a loss of faith in Roku as a company. It gives the impression that they're not serious about their products and features. Personally, I've moved on to reelgood.

BrigRee
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I go online & see which providers are streaming the movie or documentary I want to see.  Whenever Hulu is listed I know Roku (98% of the time) won’t have it listed as when I search. I’ll directly go to Hulu.