Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Media Player app and movie descriptions

@farside847 

I was tinkering around with some old USB flash drives I had connected to my router USB for use with my Ultra today. (accessed through Roku Media Player).

I could not make changes to the video's metadata directly to the flash drive (may be my Samba settings) so I had to copy the movie down to my laptop from the flash drive, edit the metadata, and then copy it back to the flash drive.  

You can use VLC Media Player to edit the metadata (under Tools/Media Information) after you load video.  Then just enter the info under "Comments" and press Save.  The info under Comments should now be displayed when you are selecting the movie in the Roku Media Player.

It has been awhile since I have messed with these things and forgot VLC is still having issue saving cover art so that feature is unavailable on my version. (I really don't use VLC that often.) 

I used a little metadata editor (kid3-qt) for the rest of the videos since I am able to save cover art with this editor.  I was not able to get RMP to display the cover art though without adding seperate jpg image to the folder.

I did have to do a restart of the router and the Roku device after all the monkeying around but seems to be working. 

----

Not sure if you were still having an issue or figured it out.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
farside847
Streaming Star

@AvsGunnar wrote:

You can use VLC Media Player to edit the metadata (under Tools/Media Information) after you load video.  Then just enter the info under "Comments" and press Save.  The info under Comments should now be displayed when you are selecting the movie in the Roku Media Player.

Thank you for the info!

I did try editing the metadata via VLC and I tried the new app you mentioned (kid3) just in case. Unfortunately when accessing the video via USB this information is not used.

I saw that you mentioned a router, Are you by chance using RMP with a DLNA server?

thanks!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@farside847 

The router that is able to display the info and images is using miniDNLA (Netgear NightHawk R7000 w/ddwrt firmware). [image 1 and 2 below]

My other one is not able to display this info,  just has a MediaServer feature, for USB sharing. No metadata, no image in box.  (TP Link Archer C5 w/manuf. firmware). [image 3]

When the flash drive is directly connected to the Ultra USB, no metadata is seen but the image is visible. [image 4]

----

Even with the Netgear, I had to place jpeg images into the same folder (and named exactly as the movie) for them to show up as the thumbnail on left of movie text.  Kind of like dealing with subtitle (srt) files.  I have the SRT files in this same folder (they just aren't visible in RMP folder view) but will work when played.  You can also ffmpeg the subtitles into the movie quickly w/o reencoding but I just keep them in the folder. RMP will display whatever text I place in the metadata, but won't display the image I have in cover art - needs that seperate jpeg.

The image all the way to the left is the only thing I haven't figured out.  Displayed clearly when using a seperate server (Plex or Kodi) but just kind of distorts the one used for the thumbnail. (I am not sure if it ever displayed the jpeg image on the drive clearly to tell you the truth.) The Kodi workaround seems to now have been fully disabled in Roku OS11. (for now).

It is a little balancing of settings between the DLNA and the RMP. I have a setting on the router's DLNA "Keep Metadata on Storage", that when Enabled, then just provides me a clean RMP display. Removes all RMP folder icons and system images (like the folder icons and the default green play button image) but retains metadata comments/info (episode description). This is the normal manner I usually keep it. However, I also have to make sure that the movies are properly encoded or they will fail to show up as available when I have this Enabled. Sometimes, I just disable this setting in order to get a particularly troublesome movie to appear and then play under RMP.

----

I had actually settled on just using the flash drives/portable hard drives on the routers with the movies/shows that everyone in the house regularly watch because I had too many machines/servers running 24/7 between work and leisure. Since the routers are always on anyways, easiest to just keep everything there and then still available to everyone depending on which network they connected to. Allowed me to power down unneeded computers and servers that were simply running waiting for someone to watch the occasional movie.

-----

The Roku Media Player works great for accessing your stored media, whether directly from flash drive at the Roku device or router USB port, but if you want more of a home media server experience,(full metadata access and viewing), most likely will have to use a router that includes some sort of integrated dlna server software if you do not want to use a seperate server. I like using custom firmware like ddwrt and openwrt because you can repurpose older routers to give them additional functions like this. Of course, you are limited to the supported codecs of the router's dlna server and the connected clients, but I haven't run into anything that ffmpeg or handbrake couldn't remedy.

The one thing I did notice though is that the image displayed in the box when using the router did distort the image in the info screen when I used larger jpeg ratios.  When attached directly to Ultra, images displayed properly and clear. 

----

Click on images to enlarge

11 22 33 44

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos