Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ISimion

Roku Express 4K+ Doesn't Have an Option For Searching Channels

Jump to solution

Hi, I have bought a Roku Express 4K+ from ebay from US, since this version (4K+) of the streaming player wasn't available in Romania.

I set it up (in Romania) and everything works fine, except I cannot search for apps from my area.

For example, I cannot find HBO Max, which I know is available in Romania, but the device channel store won't see any HBO Max app. Moreover trying to add it from a browser on the web will get the button +Add channel to be greyed out, not being able to add.

Any chance I can make the device work properly?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express 4K+ Doesn't Have an Option For Searching Channels

Jump to solution

@ISimion

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that channel availability/access on Roku devices will vary from region to region. A Roku device will work in any location, however, channels may not be available on your device in that location, based on each channel provider's discretion. For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about whether they offer their channel/service on the Roku platform in your region. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@ISimion

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that channel availability/access on Roku devices will vary from region to region. A Roku device will work in any location, however, channels may not be available on your device in that location, based on each channel provider's discretion. For more information, you'd want to contact any specific channel/service provider to inquire further about whether they offer their channel/service on the Roku platform in your region. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ISimion

Jump to solution

Yeah, this is not a solution, this is just a broad answer that could mean anything. I specifically said I know HBO Max channel is available in my region, however Roku won't let me have it, it is more a Roku issue than a channel issue.

Any tips on how to solve my issue?

Please see proof attached:

Screenshot 2022-12-30 230355.jpg

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@ISimion, there is no solution for your problem.  If you're not in a region that Roku officially supports there will be many channels/apps and features that aren't available to you.  It doesn't matter if a service is available on another platform.  Most providers will not make their channel/app available on Roku devices in regions Roku doesn't officially support.  Sorry, but it's not Roku's call; it's up to the provider and many don't even understand how it works.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
BISimion
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

You are saying that is not Roku call, but in the same time you said that it might be I am in the case for a region that Roku doesn't officially support. Apologies, but it seems to me that officially supporting other regions is exactly Roku's call.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@BISimion, agreed and maybe someday Roku will support your region, but for now the only "solution" is to move to a region they do support.  There could be any number of reasons why your region isn't supported.  It's not as simple as throwing a switch and I'm sure there's all kinds of logistics involved if not a boatload of lawyers.  I doubt it will happen overnight and don't expect any kind of official answer from Roku about if or when they'll support it.  Announcements are generally made in their blog.

Roku Blog | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
BISimion
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Even quoting the word solution, I cannot understand how an expert can be suggesting relocation of one's man livelihood in order to receive a service, and even so, country relocation, this is crazy.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I believe that’s what the quotes meant.  No one is likely to implement that “solution” but it would “solve” the problem of your TV gadget not fully working.

There were many articles about Roku’s planned international expansions back around 2019.  But then there was a pandemic, and then there were supply chain shortages.  It seems Roku’s international push has really slowed or even stalled for now.  Of course, there could be plans to expand into your country very soon, but they’re not going to say anything until they are ready.  Meanwhile, content providers can mark their channels to be available everywhere, including areas that Roku does not (yet?) support, but only some choose to do that.

laDera

Jump to solution

I love in Florida bought the Roku in Florida and it does not have a search option for channels. How do I fix this?  I'm trying to add Spectrum which I have been told by that company I should be able to do 

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@laDeraOn the home screen search should be right below the word home.  If it is not try restarting your device 

0 Kudos