Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ceeotters
Channel Surfer

Re: Resume episode no longer works on Acorn TV

Jump to solution

Really, the Amazon firestick works. They also have a much faster fast forward. You can even add the Roku channel if you want. I hate feeding the Bezos beast, but it has helped my psyche.

0 Kudos
JoeYo24
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ceeotters, I have done the same.  Got the inexpensive firestick and take it to the tv I want to resume on and do it that way.  Roku can throw their hands up and say "it's not us , it's AcornTV" but ultimately I have 4 Roku's around my house that are now useless if I want to resume a show on AcornTV.  

Also, The AcornTV app does work on my iPad and the resume works fine in that environment. Which brings us back to the AcornTV app on the Roku platform being the issue.

AcornTV wants you to hop on one foot, chew gum, and drink a glass of water all at the same time while using the remote to resume a show and see if that fixes it. It won't, and they know it.  They are giving us things to do to keep us busy (like when you tell someone to go and count all the paperclips in box) and then act shocked when it doesn't work. It can't work. It's a coding issue on that platform. 

colby2
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Acorn works correctly on my iPad.  There is no problem using my Roku stick with any other channel.  You can resume Hulu, Netflix etc without a problem.

Barnettm
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have a firestick as well on another tv and AcornTV works just fine on it. I let AcornTV and Roku know this. Did it matter? Nope

erzbet
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yes, I'm considering dumping Roku totally. 

I posted earlier about problems with Acorn resuming. Now it's completely unworkable, crashing to home screen both in playback and while trying to fast forward since one can't resume.  I updated to the most current system, but now unworkable.

If I need a fire stick I'm not sure what the point is of having the Roku at all - any thoughts?

0 Kudos
siamhie
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I'd sooner dump AcornTV before switching devices. I've had the occasional hiccups with Roku in the 10 years of owning their devices but nothing like this issue with a paid streaming service. Not worth my money (even if it is only $20 at the cheapest) to change devices just to satisfy a subscription service.

BennyTheBull
Reel Rookie

Re: Acorn TV lost my Recently Watched, doesn't keep track of watch progress

Jump to solution

We are using a Roku Stick and the resume functionality simply does not work on the AcornTV app. It shows the time stamp for the episode where we left off, but resuming always starts at the beginning and fast forwarding is painfully slow.

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Acorn TV lost my Recently Watched, doesn't keep track of watch progress

Jump to solution

Hello @BennyTheBull

Thanks for the post.

How are you accessing the Acorn TV? Is it through The Roku Channel or the standalone Acorn TV? Please provide us as well the troubleshooting you've tried so we know what steps we should take next.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yes I have the same experience. Feel certain it’s a Roku issue

0 Kudos
siamhie
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@Jjmcgavin1951 wrote:

Yes I have the same experience. Feel certain it’s a Roku issue

We've determined that it is not a Roku issue by the feedback others have reported so far. Remember that Roku provides a platform for developers to create a channel for, just like Android, Windows, OSX, etc, do.  Those who use AcornTV on Android devices (Firestick, ONN, mobile) or log in with a computer don't experience this issue. Roku on the other hand uses a customized Linux OS to run their devices and it seems that AcornTV has not updated the channel after the latest Roku OS release (11.5) which seems to coincide with this issue.

0 Kudos