Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterparker
Streaming Star

Re: Reporting ads that are biased/misinforming/irrelevant

And again... the complaint is still an issue. You spent your entire post talking AT me instead of working to solve a problem I and others (10? 1000? 5 million? How do you know how many?) have with the way ROKU is currently doing business.

All you are doing is spouting statistics to marginalize the stated problem.

You and all the other posters who do this make new posters like me feel like not only does the ROKU company not care, the people posting on this board think that by hammering down a nail that popped up in their own unique and agressive fashion, they are somehow solving a prob. ("Hey, if no one is complaining, they cant expect us to change, can they??? We must be okay.")

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Dear Spider-Man. The FCC has yet to give Neilsen ratings on commercials or ads. Therefore there is no way to filter what you see on your Home Screen. And what you see on the Roku Home page is not an ad or a commercial. It’s a promotion to a movie or show on a certain channel. Such as Netflix showing a promotion for Stranger Things 4. Companies pay Roku to promote their shows and channels on the Roku home page. That’s it

0 Kudos
peterparker
Streaming Star

Again with the snarkiness on a Roku discussion forum!

Oh, wait so you are saying it would be easy enough to take that particular ad location down? Or maybe provide a way for customers with kids filter it only for kid-friendly content? Roku, are you listening...? Not likely

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Yeah might be 200 trillion.  That's why companies of any significance hire marketeers and economists to help figure that stuff out.  I have a friend with a Ph.D. in economics and she works for companies figuring out how, when and if people will buy stuff.  They already made their determination and it appears they were right.  You're acting like you think you're arguing with those folks, but they're not here.  It's just us, and my money is invested in broad index funds so I do fine no matter what you buy.

Not every thirty buck gizmo is perfect for every individual.  I hope you enjoy the Apple or Amzon device that you've been talking about.  Heck, people buy em just to see what they're like.  The days of $1000+ VCRs and laserdiscs players is over so you might as well try a few and see what you like best.

0 Kudos
peterparker
Streaming Star

"Hey, Stega, he said that dreaded word, 'CUSTOMER SERVICE!'"

"Spidey! You cant say "customer service on this forum--people might start to ask why Roku doesnt have any! Then we might be expected to start solving problems customers have instead of quoting initial signups in the 60+million range as though none of them will ever leave or have any problem with what we offer. Then using numbers of signups to justify not having any customer service will fall apart like a house of cards. "

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@peterparker You have a problem based on your personal beliefs. But the FCC doesn’t and Roku has no control over that. There isn’t anything wrong with it and no way to filter it. It’s a film poster. In order for something to be filtered it has to have a content rating such as G, PG or R. It’s called a Nielsen rating. Movies and shows have those. That’s why you can filter movies and shows. You cannot filter anything that doesn’t have a Nielsen rating. So if you want your Roku to show only children appropriate commercials there would have to be a Nielsen rating for those ads in commercials and  then you would select to show only G rated commercials or ads, there is no current way to do that and there won’t be for a very long time. If you’re so smart Mr. Spider-Man how would you like to go about filtering commercials or ads? Please do tell since you seem to be so intelligent on this matter

0 Kudos
peterparker
Streaming Star

You "know a guy", yeah? Like I know a bunch of people with problems with Roku over Vidangel and ad content. I'm very familiar with market research and all that goes into it. Like I said, I dont trust that Roku did that before removing what should not have been a controversial app. Vidangel did their part, Roku has chosen to ignore it (and me, and whoever else).

You mentioned that Roku is not here. Totally agree, so I wish my (and others) ideas were not so agressively argued against. To some of my more recent posts, it would be nice if Roku had real customer service. Then maybe that market research would actually generate complaint numbers associated with the issues we are posting about.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@peterparker  The funny thing is you keep posting and complaining in here when you don’t even understand what to do if you find an ad or a commercial offensive. The first thing to do is to file a complaint with the FCC. That’s the first step. 
There’s no point with you keeping on with your rant. Roku, Amazon, Google and Nvidia Shield all work off commercial ad revenue. The content you see doesn’t violate the FCC rules. If you think it does then file a complaint with the FCC. But you will get nowhere just like you’re getting nowhere in here. You are the .000001% of the millions of Roku users. If you’re so unhappy then start to use another device but don’t let the door hit you on the way out

0 Kudos
peterparker
Streaming Star

So either you or Roku [all hail] has decided that instead of contacting a customer service department to discuss the challenges I have with a product, the website prompts me to come here, to the discussion forum, where Ello2022 gladly takes it upon himself (after all, no Roku [all hail] rep here) to tell me to shove off and go talk to the FCC?

Right, and I "have a problem based on my personal beliefs". 

I see what you did there, calling me out with the question about how I would go about filtering. Any answer given would be picked apart by you or someone like you. My views dont need your Roku [all hail] forum mindset to vet them before I'm okay to have them.  As Stega already pointed out--market research is all it takes, but no one called me to ask me, or apparently checked out my viewing activity on my devide. They certainly dont need my "personal beliefs" gumming up any filter options, and from what you, Stega, and DB think, Roku [all hail] has the research and a plan, and they are way more put together about all of this than these silly whiny customers who want to give feedback that might keep them from leaving Roku [all hail] for another service, or maybe no service at all.

Thanks for the help, Ello2022. You're a  Roku [all hail] rockstar.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@peterparker  If you have a suggestion for Roku then post it in the suggestion area. Here is the link. This isn’t customer service either. This is a Roku community where people can seek help with their Roku devices. If you Google “What do I do if I find a commercial offensive” you will be lead to the FCC. Not the Roku community. Go help people Mr. Spider-Man. Save someone’s life

https://community.roku.com/t5/Suggest-a-Feature/bd-p/Wishlist

0 Kudos