Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gr8skot

Re: ROKU - RESOLVED - The Weather Channel (TWC) App Crashing when loading

Jump to solution

As a Paid (not cable) subscriber, I was having a different problem with Version 4.2. Build 18. 

When trying to sign in, I would instantly get a "That Didn't Go As Planned" screen that was not resolved by "Trying Again"

It took me a while, and TWC support tried to help, but my solution was/is to use the "Free 7-Day" button to sign in, and not the Paid Subscriber button.  Following this path, I can manually enter my email address.  IMHO, there is a case sensitivity problem with the TWC Roku Client.  Make sure you enter your email exactly as it appears on your paid streamtwc account.  My streamtwc account is all lowercase, but the Roku client prompt is initial caps.
After entering your case-sensitive email address, move on to the next screen.  You will be asked to create or enter a password.  The password also appears to be case-sensitive.  If you don't know your password use the password reset button.
The rest should be obvious.

This solution worked for me and I verified via the Roku Client's account menu that I'm signed in via my lower-case email address linked subscription.

0 Kudos
s_wat
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same problem but I am a cable subscriber.  I can usually login using my Spectrum cable credentials.  However after a recent update, my Roku flashes the Paid Subscriber and Cable Subscriber options and then immediately goes to the That Didn't Go As Planned screen.  I don't want to use the Free 7-Day button since that will probably cause more problems.  No reply from the TWC Help Desk (other than being told they created a Weather Group account for me).  I'll probably start using other Roku Weather Apps.

s_wat
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

TWC finally told me to un-install and re-install the app (of course I've already done this).  I finally found my own "fix."  Just before the app gave me the That Didn't Go As Planned screen, I was able to use the Roku buttons to move and select the get a code feature.  The app still went to the TDGAP screen, but I then kept clicking Try Again and was able to copy down the code in the brief seconds it appeared on screen (took a couple try agains).  Finally entered the code in the https://www.weathergroup.com/activate site on my computer--"Success" (til next time).

0 Kudos
TV4life
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Having the exact same issue for almost a week. Also emailed TWC support & got same advice, also they're "working on your concern and will get back to you soon."  I tried the same "quick click" activation screen method as you but without success. Good to know I'm not the only one w/the problem.

I must also say that a Roku rep helped me to figure out it was not a Roku Stick issue, but most likely the TWC app (which was working fine until recently).

0 Kudos
hilgert

[UN]RESOLVED - The Weather Channel (TWC) App Crashing when loading

Jump to solution

Having the same issue for the past few weeks.

On my TCL Roku TVs (all four of them) when I select the app, it appears to open then crashes back to the Roku main screen. Tried everything I read here (and in other places) to no avail...uninstall, reboot, reinstall, full unplug power-cycle, avoiding walking under ladders or breaking mirrors...still crashes.

A [very] few times (like 1 in 20) I have been able to quickly click, and then get live TV or on demand, then app crashes after a few seconds. One (and only one) time I was asked to enter the activated code, was directed to DirecTV, entered credentials, got a success message...but app still crashes.

Filled out two (thus far...) tickets with the Weather Channel, and got automated messages talking about how much they love me and that they will look into the issue...one was 3-4 weeks ago, one was just today.

You'd think they would care more about this...it's not like Roku is some minor oddball thing. I feel sorry for folks that actually paid The Weather Channel for this as opposed to having it as part of some other cable/satellite subscription.

Latest TCL Roku firmware, and Weather Channel app version is 4.3 build 0.

0 Kudos
Jonny7
Channel Surfer

Re: [UN]RESOLVED - The Weather Channel (TWC) App Crashing when loading

Jump to solution

Hi.  Anyone know when the latest Weather Channel build number changed?   Up to Thurs 1/12/23, things were OK.  On Friday 1/13/23, we saw the on-demand menu change and started having on-demand titles crashing back to Roku home screen if we had them in "Continue Watching" (unfinished) category.   AS of 1/18, their streaming support has not given any advice on email (just the standard we're sorry, we'll get to it...email).   

Our Roku shows Version 4.4, Build 8.   Do we know if this changed from Build 6 or 7 recently?  Thx.

0 Kudos
KrisL
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. Monday I reported the issue to TWC support team. Sunday I started the 7 day free trial, today I cancelled the subscription. Without on demand content, it is just a weather app that i can view on Samsung plus TV. If they fix the issue I may try the app again. But for now, not worth paying for a weather channel when I can get the weather for free.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @KrisL

Thank you for the inquiry!

Does the issue only occur on The Weather Channel (TWC) App or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Have you tried removing the affected channel The Weather Channel (TWC) App and re-installing it? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Jonny7
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi RokuLianna:   I know you were asking KrisL about this but you can see we were having the same problem. 

This happens ONLY on the Weather Channel and we started seeing it on Friday 1/13/23 (Was working OK on Thurs 1/12/23).  Their on-demand menu changed for us too on that Friday.  (Sorry for repeating the same thing I mentioned earlier.)   This is happening on two separate ROKU devices here.

Regarding the remove channel/add channel back method, we tried that last weekend and several times since.  And we did a system restart after the removal but before adding the channel and logging back in.   No improvement at all.  The same "Continue Watching" from different show series show, and that seems to lock us out.

I've tried to get something definitive out of the TWC stream support (for 6 days now), but still nothing (no advice...no mention of progress...no mention of even identifying the problem).   

BTW, I noticed on the TWC channel info that Version 4.4, Build 8 is dated 12/16/22.  So, I think that's odd if there was a change they did on their end and they didn't change the documentation to reflect it (like bump up the Version or Build number).  Thx.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Jonny7

Thanks for the post.

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to the channel provider directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the TWC channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos