Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cal84107
Reel Rookie

ROKU ICON on HOME Screen NOT working

Jump to solution

When I select he ROKU icon on the home screen I am not getting the ROKU channel lineup, it just goes back to the home screen.....  what is happening? This is going to drive me crazy and I'm about to throw my remote through my TV screen!  I have a HISENSE ROKU TV that has worked flawlessly until this evening.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU ICON on HOME Screen NOT working

Jump to solution

@Cal84107 

First, check to see if any of your channels/apps are working.

If isolated to just the Roku Channel, try the Remove, Restart, Reinstall procedure. 

1. Highlight the Roku Channel and press * button on your Roku remote.  Select Remove Channel.

2. Perform a System Restart. (Settings/System/Power/System Restart)

3. Reinstall Roku Channel from Channel Store.

---

When experiencing problems, also not a bad idea to perform the following to see if issue can be resolved.

1. Restart your modem and router and all network peripherals (extenders, APs, switches, etc.)

2. Perform a Software Update on Roku. (Settings/System/System or Software Update)

3. Perform System Restart. (Settings/System/Power/System Restart)

4. If still having issues, try connecting to a mobile hotspot if available to you.  If able to connect and the channel/app works properly, then issue is confined to a network issue that needs to be resolved/troubleshooted.

5. Run a speedtest on your network.  On laptop, navigate to speedtest.net and look at speeds and latency readings.

---

The Roku Channel is working properly for me currently, so you will need to at least perform all the above to help narrow down the issue you are having.  I usually only have issues with the Roku Channel when experiencing speed issues with my internet.  The Roku Channel is actually one of the few channels/apps that will work for me when experiencing speed issues when other channels/apps won't even load.

---

If all the above still does not resolve issue, try configuring your router to use these default settings and see if that helps.

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n (Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Try changing and using different channels. Roku cannot see or use 12,13,14.

* Restart both your Router and your Roku after making above changes.

5.0 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to N/AC
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz or 20/40 mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 36-48 (low frequency band) or 149-161 (high frequency band). Roku cannot see or use channels 52-140 (DFS Channels) which an Auto Setting may be choosing. If your router allows you to Disable DFS Channels, then an Auto Setting may be used after successful troubleshooting.

Restart both your Router and Roku devices(s) after making the above changes

----

Feel free to post back with Router model number and ISP (internet service provider) and your Roku OS build (Settings/System/About) if still needing help or issue persists.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Cal84107 

First, check to see if any of your channels/apps are working.

If isolated to just the Roku Channel, try the Remove, Restart, Reinstall procedure. 

1. Highlight the Roku Channel and press * button on your Roku remote.  Select Remove Channel.

2. Perform a System Restart. (Settings/System/Power/System Restart)

3. Reinstall Roku Channel from Channel Store.

---

When experiencing problems, also not a bad idea to perform the following to see if issue can be resolved.

1. Restart your modem and router and all network peripherals (extenders, APs, switches, etc.)

2. Perform a Software Update on Roku. (Settings/System/System or Software Update)

3. Perform System Restart. (Settings/System/Power/System Restart)

4. If still having issues, try connecting to a mobile hotspot if available to you.  If able to connect and the channel/app works properly, then issue is confined to a network issue that needs to be resolved/troubleshooted.

5. Run a speedtest on your network.  On laptop, navigate to speedtest.net and look at speeds and latency readings.

---

The Roku Channel is working properly for me currently, so you will need to at least perform all the above to help narrow down the issue you are having.  I usually only have issues with the Roku Channel when experiencing speed issues with my internet.  The Roku Channel is actually one of the few channels/apps that will work for me when experiencing speed issues when other channels/apps won't even load.

---

If all the above still does not resolve issue, try configuring your router to use these default settings and see if that helps.

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n (Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Try changing and using different channels. Roku cannot see or use 12,13,14.

* Restart both your Router and your Roku after making above changes.

5.0 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to N/AC
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz or 20/40 mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 36-48 (low frequency band) or 149-161 (high frequency band). Roku cannot see or use channels 52-140 (DFS Channels) which an Auto Setting may be choosing. If your router allows you to Disable DFS Channels, then an Auto Setting may be used after successful troubleshooting.

Restart both your Router and Roku devices(s) after making the above changes

----

Feel free to post back with Router model number and ISP (internet service provider) and your Roku OS build (Settings/System/About) if still needing help or issue persists.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Cal84107
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Steps 1, 2, 3 worked!  Thank you!

0 Kudos
Cal84107
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My previous reply turned out to be a lie, it DID NOT WORK!  I ended up having to do a factory reset on my TV and starting over again as if I had just purchased the TV. 😞

0 Kudos