Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Goranku
Channel Surfer

Re: Question about .srt files on USB stick using Roku Media Player Channel

Thanks. I know its contained within the srt. file, bum im looking for something like adjusting the time during a movie. Like you can when you watch it on vlc or bs player....or like i could have on my old tv

0 Kudos
decavalera
Reel Rookie

Tried it just now & it really work. 
1- rename my mp4 file & cut short it, remove 1080 etc. In my case, i downloaded interstellar. Just rename to “interstellar.mp4”. 
2- the rename the subtitle to “interstellar.srr”

0 Kudos
FreshD

Same name, get rid of numbers on the title. etc. ALL OF THOSE suggestion doesn't work. This is **bleep**ty Media Player. well done Roku. 

Winmary

If my subtitles are out of sync I use Media Player Classic-Home Cinema (MPC-HC) which is a free program with my Windows program.  I use the "File" tab to go to "Subtitles" and then "Load Subtitles..." from whichever file the subtitles are in but this is not necessary if the subtitles are in the same folder with the same name as the video.

To adjust the timing I use F1 if the subtitles are behind the voices (too slow) or F2 if the subtitles are in front of the voices (too fast). Once I am happy with the timing I can go back to "File" then "Subtitles" and "Save Subtitles...". So when I do play the videos on my larger tv where the Roku player is and the subtitles are now in sync with the sounds.

0 Kudos
hasalasri

After several trial and errors I found a solution. While video is playing go to Accessibility and choose “unknown” for captioning track. 

0 Kudos
Sleeve45

Roku Media Player can't read .srt files but Plex can. Unfortunately, Plex can't display embedded subtitles so you'll need both.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Sleeve45 

The Roku Media Player (version 5.5 build 13) still displays my .SRT subtitles just fine.  You need to make sure the "movie file" and the external  "SRT subtitle file" are both named identical and in the same folder.

(ie. --> folder [Movies], movie file [a.mkv], srt subtitle file [a.srt] )

---

I will have to find and extract some other subtitle formats from some content with embedded subtitles, rather than the above external SRT format.  I remember playing around with these a while ago and got a format working using FFmpeg or Handbrake (can't really remember). 

I do just normally keep the SRT in the folder as a backup anyways so always has something to fall back on as I primarily watch through the RMP.  I will update if I happen to come across it. (I am thinking I converted the SRT to VTT first, but really can't remember).  Also, can't remember if I was just able to add it to movie file, or if I had to re-encode it to the video file for the RMP to see them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos