Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rewilley
Channel Surfer

Re: Problem with This Old House app

Ironically, TOH keeps sending me emails with member only discounts for ROKU devices including streaming sticks that will not function with their members only streaming channel. Can't make this up. Member support doesn't seem to appreciate the irony of the TOH/ROKU relationship causing my channel not to function. They have also stopped responding to me. What would Norm say?

0 Kudos
iodine
Binge Watcher

Earlier today I cancelled my Inside TOH membership. I also replied to the open ticket I have had since September explaining my frustration with the extremely poor service I have seen from their support.

For a service that does not work it cost way too much.

I encourage others with the same issue to make TOH aware of your frustration. 

0 Kudos
Jerm5
Reel Rookie

@iodine @Rewilley @mstnggt66 @RokuKariza-D 

The good news: I was finally able to resolve this issue with absolutely zero help from This Old House Ventures. After multiple times trying to get them to respond, I gave up on them. Dreadful customer service.

Then I decided to try roku support again. I started with online support chat, which is an AI chatbot and is nearly worthless. I then spent two hours on the phone with Roku support (a feat not easily achieved; they don't make it easy to find the number (816-272-8106, you're welcome), and if you select the wrong option they say they only support billing questions and new installs and promptly hang up on you). I finally got connected to a tech support guy who was surprisingly diligent in troubleshooting the problem. 

The key clue came when I decided to log into guest mode and install the ToH app there...and voila, it worked. But after logging out of guest mode, the same problem was occurring (it never progressed beyond the splash/logo screen). This confirmed for both the support rep and myself that the problem is definitely tied to the Roku account somehow. 

The bad news: you're not going to like the answer.  The resolution was to deactivate my Roku account, canceling any subscriptions, and recreating it from scratch. Then a factory reset, logged into the newly created account. After that, the ToH app loaded as normal, finally. I had to log into all of my services again and repeat the process for all of my other roku devices since they were also logged into the same deactivated account. 

If you're waiting on ToH to resolve this, you will probably be waiting for a while. If you don't mind creating a new account, this path works. Hope this helps!

willey

Well thanks for entering the Matrix to figure this out. Hope you made it out unscathed. I followed your information and all is well now. Thanks Again!

0 Kudos
iodine
Binge Watcher

@Jerm5 No offense for the work you you did and the time you spent on the phone, but I had already done and proven what you found out. I posted it earlier in this thread. The real problem here is still the app.

Since the app works when freshly installed and breaks after use it makes me think the problem has something to do with stats that are being gathered to track what we watched and eventually the volume of data breaks it. But I am just guessing.

If I had to make another guess about why it continues to be broken is because they originally paid someone to write it, and now they don't have anyone to fix it. But again I am just guessing. 

0 Kudos