Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZiggyGT
Reel Rookie

Prime support? How come it is not working? Who else is a little miffed?.

It's ridiculous that support was pulled when the old app still worked fine.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Prime support? How come it is not working? Who else is a little miffed?.

@ZiggyGT 

What are you talking about? How about actually describing the issue. Maybe there's a simple solution that one of us Roku users can help with, if you'd just state the issue. Include your Roku model number and Roku Software version.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
ZiggyGT
Reel Rookie

My ROKU Stick gives me an error when I try to use Amazon Prime. I went to web site and found this

"The older Roku models that Amazon has announced will no longer be supported effective November 1, 2021 are:

Roku 2 HD/XD/XS models 2050X, 2500X, 2720X, 3000X, 3100X
Roku LT models 2400X, 2450X, 2700X
Roku SE model 2710X
Roku Streaming Stick models 3400X, 3420X,  3500X"

I have seen many early adopters declaring they are moving to the Amazon Fire to avoid this issue. I am not doing that, I am just miffed that ROKU/Amazon chose a pull the plug solution.

Roku is Ending Support for Older Models | Cord Cutters News

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@ZiggyGT 

Amazon determines which Roku devices are supported by their apps. In fact, all app developers make that choice.

The newest of those Roku devices listed, the HDMI Stick model 3500, was released in March 2014. Amazon Fire TV did not even exist then.

Roku still supports the 3500 Stick via software updates, although many app developers do not support that device. Hardware support is a different story, as Roku no longer makes the remote for the 3500.

The devices that Roku no longer supports that are listed in that link you provided from that 2019 story are all from 2012 or earlier.

Amazon chose to stop supporting those devices as of November 2021.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

@ZiggyGT wrote:

I have seen many early adopters declaring they are moving to the Amazon Fire to avoid this issue. I am not doing that, I am just miffed that ROKU/Amazon chose a pull the plug solution.

Well, I'm sure that makes Amazon think:  "Our clever plan is working!" Smiley Happy

For sure, watching Amazon Prime on an Amazon Device is probably the Amazon-recommended way to do it.  Whether the Amazon Device is better for long-time support of non-Amazon services is another question.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@ZiggyGT 

One other thing to consider is that the old app didn't have the same functionality as the new app. And it cost Amazon to maintain two different apps on the Roku platform.

Remember that FireOS, Roku OS, tvOS, and Android are all different operating systems. You can't just use an app from one on another. So each platform requires its own support, and having more than one app on a platform requires even more resources and support. That's expensive. And Amazon decided that they could drop the old app if they dropped support for devices that could only run the old app.

It's strictly business.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
ZiggyGT
Reel Rookie

I know this is the new reality that functionality you purchased in not guaranteed:

My Roku won't prime.

My 2018 Sony TV will not support AppleTV (even though other Android devices do)

My Blu Ray player apps don't work

My Sony Blu Ray Won't Skype

My Simple.TV "Lifetime" won't

My PlayOn "lifetime" won't play

My Ipads won't work

I think it is time for some type of consumer oriented regulations on device support. This is a lot of electronic junk for landfills based on arbitrary decisions on different companies. Some go broke, but for others it is clearly based on economics and there are no consumer protection laws. End of life announcement and support requirements are non-existent. This is not true for other industries (like cars) and yes there is a big different between a $25K car and a $50 device. but this open season has to have some rules, At a minimum companies should be responsible for recycling.

0 Kudos