Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime Video Instant Replay and Rewind freezes

In the last few months, when watching content on Amazon Prime Video, I'm encountering an occasional problem where the video freezes when using the Instant Replay or Rewind functions on my Roku remote.  When this happens, the buffering circle spins continuously (hitting the Play button, Instant Replay, or Rewind doesn't help).  The only workaround is to hit the Home button to back out to the Home Screen, click the Prime Video app again, and then continue with the content I was watching that froze. 

I've worked with Roku Support over the course of the last few months; they have been great.  I first encountered the problem on a Roku Ultra 4670 about three months ago.  Roku replaced that device with a Roku Ultra 4800 and I again encountered the problem.  In the meantime, I purchased a new Streaming Stick 4K 3820 and still have the same problem. 

Hence, Roku recently suggested that the problem has to be with Prime Video and that I should contact Amazon Support.  Of course, there's really no good way to work with Amazon on this issue.

I'm curious.  Is anyone else encountering this issue with Prime Video?  I don't have the issue while watching content on any other apps/channels on my Roku.  So, there's got to be some fairly recent incompatibility problem with the Prime Video app on Roku.

Thank you for your feedback, especially if you've figured out some solution to this.

10 REPLIES 10
Arlington
Reel Rookie

Re: Prime Video Instant Replay and Rewind freezes

You are not alone on this. We have the same issue with Prime Video on both of our Roku Ultra 4800 models when using the Instant Replay or Rewind functions on the Roku remote. We purchased the Ultra 4800 models in December 2020 and did not have the issue until later in 2021. The issue only exists on Prime Video for us. 

We would also appreciate advice on a solution for the issue.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Arlington,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot channel issues: Follow these steps in order:
1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel'.
2. Next, restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. (For Roku TV Settings>System>Power>System restart)
3. Once your player/TV starts up again, go to 'Streaming Channels' on the Home screen, and add the channel back once more.
You may also refer to this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support 

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Arlington
Reel Rookie

Hi @RokuMary-F,

I very much appreciate the advice, but unfortunately, having followed your instructions to the letter, the issue was not resolved on either of the Roku Ultra 4800 models we have (we have two of these). Is there anything else we can try to do?

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Arlington

Thanks for the follow up.

If the issue remains unresolved, I'd recommend reaching out to Prime Video support directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on the Prime Video channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.  

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
dtate888
Reel Rookie

Pretty sure my Roku Ultra is the latest one (4800), and I am having this issue with Prime app as well ! I am in love with the 'instant replay feature' i guess it is called. But it causes Prime to freeze and can be very frustrating when you just want to relax, but it keeps freezing and have to restart it. Very much considering just getting a fire stick

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @dtate888

We're here to help!

In some cases, removing the affected channel and then reinstalling them may help. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
dtate888
Reel Rookie

You know what, it seems like Amazon updated their Roku app like the day after my post or so. And it seems to be working fine now. hip hip hooray !

P.S. I think I had tried restarting and updating previously to no avail though, fwiw

Arlington
Reel Rookie

@dtate888 same here! The issue has gone away on both of our Roku Ultras! Thanks for adding to the post and getting someone's attention.

Likewise, six months ago I followed the instructions to try to correct the issue and nothing changed.

Enjoy!

dtate888
Reel Rookie

I guess we aren't crazy huh ? Would like to think someone saw my post and turned around a bug fix in 24 hours LOL but I imagine it's something they've known about for a while but were pushing off until the next big version update or something.
Hope you enjoy as well !

ROKU ROCKZ

:)))