Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kireeti

Prime Video Channel disabled to add to Roku Express in India

Hi. I got Roku express 4k+ from US to use in India. The device was setup for the first time in India. But I couldn't find/add Prime Video Channel which is also available in India. This is absurd. I could add Netflix. Also the search function is disabled. 

Please help

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Prime Video Channel disabled to add to Roku Express in India

@Kireeti 

Roku allows app developers to pick where their app is supported. So if an app isn't available on Roku, it's because the developer has chosen to not support Roku there. It doesn't matter if the service is available on other platforms. If Amazon isn't available on Roku there, that's Amazon's choice.

Why would this be?

As I said, Roku lets developers choose. Roku doesn't stop any from working. But Roku itself is only supported in less than 20 countries in the Americas and Europe. That's it. Nowhere else in the world is Roku sold or supported. You imported one yourself because Roku isn't sold there. And it's not supported there.

Most developers choose to not assume the responsibility for supporting an app in an area the platform itself is not supported. Amazon is one of those. In fact, most are that way. Netflix usually supports its app outside of Roku supported areas, but that is not how most choose to do.

But again, it's not Roku stopping them -- witness Netflix -- but in your case, Amazon chose to not support a Roku app.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Prime Video Channel disabled to add to Roku Express in India

Also, lack of search menu option is because you are outsude a supported area.

Roku adjusts device menu based on device and area, hiding options that are irrelevant/not supportable.

Not a Roku employee