Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Timler63
Binge Watcher

Poor picture quality using Spectrum TV app

We use the Spectrum TV app.  Our Roku TCL TV is hard wired and the other 2 TV’s use wireless.  Of ten when watching shows on the Spctrum app the picture comes in out of focus, pixilated and extremely zoomed in.  It usually clears on it’s own but it is a daily occurrence.  I have adjusted resolution down from 1080 to 720 to auto and no improvement.  

Has anyone run into this and how did you fix it?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
scottypie1234
Reel Rookie

Re: Poor picture quality using Spectrum TV app

My parents switched to the Spectrum TV app for Roku recently when Spectrum started charging to use their boxes. The app, to be kind, is problematic. Calling Spectrum for support almost always results in a conversation with someone who doesn't even know there is such a thing as a Spectrum TV app.
jeffrok
Roku Guru

"Timler63" wrote:
We use the Spectrum TV app.  Our Roku TCL TV is hard wired and the other 2 TV’s use wireless.  Of ten when watching shows on the Spctrum app the picture comes in out of focus, pixilated and extremely zoomed in.  It usually clears on it’s own but it is a daily occurrence.  I have adjusted resolution down from 1080 to 720 to auto and no improvement.  

Has anyone run into this and how did you fix it?

What speed internet do you have? Does this happen on other channels, or just Spectrum's?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
optikhog
Roku Guru

We see this quite a bit with this app.  They have some kind of adaptive stream that increases and decreases in quality based on network usage.  I've done some testing is it does seem to reflect the relative speed/latency you're getting via your cable modem.  I have found that restarting the app seems to fix it for a bit as it reduces the buffer bloat, but it will come back.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, i saw it too when i had Spectrum for cable, in fact the poor quality of the app was a big reason why i dropped it (and not being able to stream outside my home network).
0 Kudos
JSteveK

Same problem here is driving me bonkers. I have checked the speed when it does it and it's always above 100 Mbps and usually above 150. Spectrum sent a person out who checked modem, signals strength, router and said everything is just fine. I have 3 TV's with Roku's and they all do it, so it's not just one device.

So my question is does this happen on Chromecast or other devices that will run Spectrum TV app? I think Amazon Firestick does not. Anyone know??

0 Kudos
Sal1

Pixelation with spectrum streaming, but lately only with commercials, especially spectrum commercials or disney commercials, lol  Sometimes have to shut down roku for a minute to get rid of buffering, but was a daily thing.  Now just pixelation with commericials.  To be honest always something.  (on both tv's)

0 Kudos