Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
perryma98
Reel Rookie

Plex Not Working Since 10.5

Since my Roku Ultra has updated to version 10.5 my Plex app won't stream any content (Movies, TV Shows, Music) from my Plex server.  I am able to see all of the content, but nothing will play.  This is only a problem on my Roku Ultra devices.  I can use Plex on my phone, table, and TV without any problems.  

I searched the Roku support and forums for help, but Roku seems unwilling or incapable of addressing this issue.  Since I can no longer use my Roku devices for Plex, I am moving to a Fire Stick.  You have lost a customer for life Roku because of your poor support. Alpha Mike Foxtrot.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Plex Not Working Since 10.5

There are multiple Plex forums out there.  You're probably more likely to get help with Plex issues on one of them, but it's far too easy for each side (Roku vs. Plex) to point the finger at each other.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
perryma98
Reel Rookie

Considering that Plex works on every other device I use it on and because so many other people have had the same issue using Plex and other streaming apps since the 10.5 update, I am going to say the problem is with Roku.  I just received my new Fire Stick and Plex, Netflix, Hulu, and of course Amazon Prime works on it without any problems.  I am going to order a few more Fire Sticks and then my Roku devices are going in the trash.

0 Kudos
ffrivera
Reel Rookie

I have a couple of older Roku Ultra devices, and today I received my new 4800 unit.  As described by numerous others, Plex is unusable with Roku on this device. For me, the screen initially flickers upon playing a movie, followed by a "streaming error" message. Where's the issue exactly?  I don't know, but my older Ultra devices work fine (even my previous Ultra that was connected to this same TV), and they are using the latest Plex app version.  I have not seen any responses yet that could potentially help resolve the issue, so this is probably going to be a return pretty soon - and the last Roku I buy unless something magically fixes the issue within the next day. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@ffrivera

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ffrivera
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R 

1. Roku Info:
    • Device model: 4800X - Roku Ultra
    • Serial number: X01000K1EJD7
    • Device ID: S02A21C1EJD7
    • Software OS/version: 10.5.0 build 4208-C2
  2. The issue happens on Plex, Hulu and Prime when playing movies.  TV shows seem to be unaffected.  The information on those apps is as follows:
    • Plex
      • Version: 7.0 build 8
      • Tracker ID: D7-178-285
    • Hulu
      • Version: 6.59 build 0
      • Tracker ID: D7-178-283
      • Hulu error P-DEV320
    • Prime
      • Version: 12.3 build 2021122417
      • Tracker ID: D7-178-284

The symptom is similar in all three apps.  Progress bar or ring begins as the movie is started, followed by a delay, but the movie never starts.  In the case of Hulu, a Hulu error is shown, as specified above.

Thanks,

Felix

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@ffrivera

Thanks for the post.

Are you experiencing this issue on other channels or does it only affect these 3 channels? Have you tried rebooting your wireless network to see if that helps the issue you are experiencing?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I can’t even LOAD the app. It just turns purple and goes back to the Home Screen. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Hanshotfirst113,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot channel issues: Follow these steps in order:
1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel'.
2. Next, restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. (For Roku TV Settings>System>Power>System restart)
3. Once your player/TV starts up again, go to 'Streaming Channels' on the Home screen, and add the channel back once more.

You may also refer to this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
sundancer_340
Reel Rookie

@RokuMary-F wrote:

Hi @Hanshotfirst113,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot channel issues: Follow these steps in order:
1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel'.
2. Next, restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. (For Roku TV Settings>System>Power>System restart)
3. Once your player/TV starts up again, go to 'Streaming Channels' on the Home screen, and add the channel back once more.

You may also refer to this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

I followed these instructions exactly and still getting same message on my Roku, "playback error. There are no playable items" works perfectly on all my other devices 

0 Kudos