Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tinman951
Reel Rookie

Please bring back VidAngel app

PLEASE just do it. There are so many people here and many who aren't represented in this forum who really like the VidAngel app and have been frustrated by Roku's decision to drop it.

The litigation is over, the VidAngel company is booming, the demand is there, and Roku is the only one not on board.

10 REPLIES 10
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Please bring back VidAngel app

Hi @tinman951,

We currently don't have any information to share about when VidAngel will be available on Roku. We suggest you reach out to them to let them know your concern. You may also check out our blog at http://blog.roku.com for the latest news and upcoming updates.

Warm regards,
Lianna

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@tinman951 wrote:

... frustrated by Roku's decision to drop it.

That's not an accurate description of what happened. Roku revamped the rules regarding Private/Non-certified Channels/Apps. VidAngel was one of hundreds of apps that never went through the certification process.

The revamp gave all non-certified apps, including VidAngel, 120 days to get certified by submitting an app that followed all the guidelines. All the apps that were not certified were removed on day 121. That included VidAngel.

So, there was no decision to drop VidAngel. Rather, it was all non-certified apps would disappear after a 120-day lifespan.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

tinman951
Reel Rookie

VidAngel told me last week that they have been trying to work with Roku on getting the app back since it was dropped but Roku has not responding to any communications sent. They suggested that concerns be brought up with Roku at this point because Roku seems to have no interest in listening.

VidAngel has bent over backwards for us on multiple occasions to be able to access their app in the most convenient way possible. Roku has done nothing.

DBDukes

@tinman951 

I stand by the facts I offered.

VidAngel is available on Fire TV, Apple TV, and Google/Android TV. You should be able to watch it using one of those devices.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Olsen2911

Vidangel has posted that Roku has dropped the channel. Vidangel states they have attempted to get their channel back to no avail. Come on Roku - I expect better. There is plenty of comments showing the need for this channel.

RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Olsen2911

We currently don't have any info to share about this, but you can check out our blog at http://blog.roku.com for the latest news and upcoming updates.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Olsen2911 wrote:

Vidangel has posted that Roku has dropped the channel. ...

That's spin. Roku removed all non-certified apps, hundreds of them. VidAngel had 120 days from the announcement, like all other developers, to code the app to standards and submit for certification. That didn't happen, and on day 121, non-certified apps were removed. That is fact, not spin.

VidAngel is spinning, and misleading people in the process. That says a lot about them as a company and about the character of those running the company.

DBDukes

0 Kudos

VidAngel says: https://blog.vidangel.com/what-the-bleep-happened-to-roku/
You may have noticed, VidAngel is no longer available on Roku. Roku changed its policy to block any app not sold through its official store. We didn’t make the list. Despite meeting all the technical requirements, our application was rejected. We appealed. We asked for an explanation. Time and again, we got no reply.
And even with many VidAngel customers complaining on the Roku community site, Roku has never offered any of them any rationale for not allowing VidAngel in its store.

Roku says: https://community.roku.com/t5/Channels-viewing/Please-bring-back-VidAngel- app/m-p/855652#M133272
That's not an accurate description of what happened. Roku revamped the rules regarding Private/Non-certified Channels/Apps. VidAngel was one of hundreds of apps that never went through the certification process.
The revamp gave all non-certified apps, including VidAngel, 120 days to get certified by submitting an app that followed all the guidelines. All the apps that were not certified were removed on day 121. That included VidAngel.
So, there was no decision to drop VidAngel. Rather, it was all non-certified apps would disappear after a 120-day lifespan.

Obviously someone is not telling the whole truth. I'm posting this for others to see. I'm not asking for an explanation because this proves there will only be more finger pointing lacking in truth!

DBDukes

@riddlemethis 

Note that Roku did not say that. I did. Look at my signature. I don't work for Roku. I don't speak for Roku. Saying that I speak for Roku, or that what I say is the same as Roku saying it, is wrong. This is how misinformation starts. In your case, unintentional. I don't think you're trying to mislead anyone by saying that Roku said something when it was actually me, a Roku user, that said it.

Now, imagine what could happen if someone intentionally posted inaccurate information.

Personally (again, I don't now nor have I ever spoken on behalf of Roku) I would like to see VidAngel submit an app that followed Roku requirements (particularly the Roku Pay pay, which I suspect is the whole issue). But until they do and it's approved, you have to go to another platform to use the service.

DBDukes

0 Kudos