Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reber1b
Channel Surfer

Photos and Flickr channels removed

Jump to solution

Does anyone know if the Photos and Flickr channels are going to return?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Photos and Flickr channels removed

Jump to solution

@reber1b

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about that channel's availability, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@reber1b

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about that channel's availability, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Designwallah
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

Roku made this app. They've decided to disable it without telling us why. (Not) interestingly, I had installed this app some time ago, it worked, though it had very few options. When I tried using the app a few days ago I got a message saying the app is no longer available. I deleted the app and search the Roku channel store for something else that can display Flickr photos. Guess what appeared? The Flickr channel. I installed it and got the same error. So, Roku disabled the channel, but makes it available to install. I don't think it's fair that something that works gets disabled without warning.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Designwallah
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

I really dislike seeing "Jump to solution" when there is no solution.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Designwallah, Roku didn't disable it and they didn't create it.  Apparently it was never updated by whomever did create it to work with the latest Roku software and that's why you get the "not available" message.  It should really say "not compatible".  I see nothing when I search the Channel Store for "Flickr".

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Designwallah
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

When I posted my message, I was not lying about what I described - because the channel is no longer in the store does not mean I was mistaken. I am sorry I did not take a screenshot, but something on the screen suggested it was Roku that created the channel, AND also, the Flickr Help forum has several Flickr employees stating that it was a Roku channel. 

0 Kudos
Designwallah
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

"Developed by: Roku"?!  That is interesting.  The blog post is from 7 years ago, so a lot has changed.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was more of someone's pet project and that someone is either gone, has no intention of updating it, or wasn't permitted to spend time and resources on it.  It's a major undertaking to update an old channel/app to the new programming model.  Maybe it just fell through the cracks.  Any channel/app that can't be used with the v11.5 update was automatically removed from the Channel Store recently, so maybe Roku doesn't even realize that it happened to some "Developed by: Roku" channels or maybe they don't care.

I don't know if you'll ever be able to get anything official from Roku.  I'm sure they'd prefer that Flickr create their own channel/app.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Deepcore

Jump to solution

Contacted Flickr and they seem to wash their hands of it saying it’s not their problem to update the app so it works with current Roku software:

Thank you for contacting us! Happy to help you with this.

Since the product you are trying to use with your Flickr account is considered a 3rd party service, we recommend reaching out to their developer or help team for better assistance. Please note that Flickr's support heroes are only able to provide support for the following products:

• The Flickr website on supported browsers
  • The mobile apps for iOS and Android
  • The desktop uploaders for Windows and Mac

If you do have any other questions or concerns, let us know and we'll be happy to help.

0 Kudos