Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarlaMac
Reel Rookie

Paramount Plus Error occurred during playback

Jump to solution

When I try to load a show on Paramount Plus the CBS or Paramount logos will load, but when the show loads I get an error message that says “Error. Unfortunately, an error occurred during playback. Please try again.” No amount of trying again fixes this issue. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Paramount Plus Error occurred during playback

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for reporting this to the Roku Community. We'd like to check and try to help.

I understand that you are receiving an error message of "unfortunately an error occurred during playback" while accessing the Paramount plus channel.

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot channel issues: Follow these steps in order:
1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel'.
2. Next, restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. (For Roku TV Settings>System>Power>System restart)
3. Once your player/TV starts up again, go to 'Streaming Channels' on the Home screen, and add the channel back once more.

In addition, try checking for any system updates in Settings>System>System update>Check now.

If this issue is not resolved, please help us with additional information provided below that would be helpful for our team to look into this problem.

-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-what are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue or error message
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Please be aware that we are actively monitoring and investigating the discussions on this thread. Thanks again for your continued patience.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

201 REPLIES 201
Gator92

Paramount Plus 'unfortunately an error occurred during playback'

Jump to solution

I just signed up for Paramount Plus and am getting an error code 'unfortunately an error occurred during playback'. This message is happening on every show I try to watch. I am streaming using a Roku Streaming Stick. I have updated both Paramount Plus and Roku firmware. I also tried restarting my Roku device. Any suggestions?

dragonboots2005
Roku Guru

Re: Paramount Plus 'unfortunately an error occurred during playback'

Jump to solution

I have had issues for 6 weeks when it goes to ad breaks.  I've called them, emailed them relentlessly.  Nothing has been fixed yet.  I cancelled my 1 year subscription and let it run out.  I use a friends Paramount Plus account and it does the same exact thing.  Roku and Paramount Plus need to get together and fix this sh** - I'm super pi$$ed at both of them over this.  

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Paramount + Error occurred during playback

Jump to solution

Hey @DarlaMac

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Does the issue only occur on Paramount Plus or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

If you haven't tried yet, you can remove the affected channel then re-install it. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings System System restart Restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Cynthiairene13
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I purchased Paramount plus and all I get is an error occurred during playback on all the shows. I have reset and nothing all my other streaming pages work

DarlaMac
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Kariza, I was able to connect with someone in customer service and the issue turned out to be a duplication of my account. Once the secondary account was removed (or the address was changed) the issue was resolved. That’s for the help. 

Michele2

Jump to solution

I signed up for Paramount + a week ago, was able to watch on episode of a streaming show, and then have gotten the 'unfortunately an error occurred during playback' message ever since.  I've tried ALL the troubleshooting suggestions and still can't get it.  Is it a Roku problem?  I can stream other channels.

DarlaMac
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

If your other Roku channels work, the issue is with your P+ account. I called their customer service and found that I had two accounts with the same email address and that was locking me out. I changed the email address on the non-Roku account and it straightened out my problem. 

kenfirch
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Since the Contact Support screen wouldn't let me send this message there, got Submit error, I'll paste it below.

On 12/20/21 I paid $4.99 for Paramount+ Essential Monthly which did not work correctly, got the Error: Unfortunately an error occurred during playback... message. I then followed the basic troubleshooting steps, power cycle devices, including router, Roku, etc., no luck. Next was to remove and reinstall the Paramount+ app, which I couldn't do while I was subscribed to Paramount+, so I cancelled it, then removed and reinstalled. Still didn't work! I called Paramount's tech support, and they did a few things on their end, assured me that it should work the next day. Nope still didn't work! I give up! It doesn't work on both my Roku devices!  And there is no VPN in use at my home.  

Can I please have my $4.99 refunded?  I know it's only $5, but I don't like paying for services not rendered.

Thank you, Ken Firch

Kevin11101

Jump to solution

Suddenly this very problem occurred here two days ago.   P+ is our most watched channel.  We pay for the service and recently upgraded so we don’t see so many commercials.  Now, we get “Error, unfortunately an error occurred during playback. Please try again.”  Unplugging, rebooting, etc., didn’t fix this.