Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Re: Paramount + Dolby Atmos, 5.1 Audio and Dolby Vision and HDR video

@Bfagan94 wrote:

Still no fix for this. HDR on this app was nice while it lasted...

Paramount Plus is now saying that Roku OS v10.5 is the cause of this issue, blocking 4K and HDR playback of content on their service to all Roku devices and TVs, and that a fix won’t be available until after Roku releases OS v10.6 sometime in Spring 2022.

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

I just signed up for P+ today, so I'm on my free trial.  Love the content availability, but also having the 5.1 audio issue.  Movies will play in 5.1, and TV shows do not, they have to be manually changed, and the changes don't stick cross episode.  My work around for now is to Use Paramount plus through my Apple TVs which currently work as expected.

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

Hey all,

I've re-read the posts here in more detail this time around.  The first time I mainly just skimmed through.

I am primarily and Apple user, so I am well familiar with AirPlay.  I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max, and have loaded the P+ app onto it, and signed in.  I tried sending the show "Picard" that I've been watching to the Roku Ultra in the living room (model 4800) as Airplay from the app.  The progress bar loads like it's going to start playing and then goes back to the AirPlay main screen that shows  the name of the device, instruction how to use it, and some settings.  The content never starts to play.  So for those who made the airplay work around suggestion, is it still working for you? and if so, did I maybe miss something?

As I mentioned in my above post, I can use the service without issues on my two Apple TVs which is fine with me.  I was simply going to try the Airplay solution to see if it would work for me on the Roku, which at this point doesn't seem to.  If anyone has anything else that I can try, please let me know.  If not, I'll just use the Apple TV(s) to watch content from P+ for now.

Thanks

Bfagan94
Binge Watcher

My paramount plus subscription will be expired by then so I won't worry about it.

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

Paramount+ Tech Support has to be, hands down, the worst. After weeks of being assured they understand the issue (but not the cause) of the issue many of us have complained to them about in this thread, last night I receive the following e-mail that is supposed to pertain to my case:

Dear Todd,

Thank you for contacting Paramount+. First we would like to apologize for the delay in our response. We are sorry you are experiencing this issue and would love to assist.

After reviewing your case and account, we are seeing that your streaming has been restored.

Please refer to the following steps:
1. Ensure you are using the 2.4GHz network as most Roku devices run better on this network.
2. When viewing, click the (*) option button on the Remote and ensure Volume mode is turned off.
3. Also, ensure the bandwidth saver is off by going to settings>>network>>bandwidth saver>>off.
4. If these steps do not work, try changing your resolution settings on the Roku to 720p versus 1080p.
-Setting >> Display type.

If after completing the above steps you are still having issues with streaming, just reply to this email.

Regards,

Shannel

Paramount+ Customer Support Tier 2 Agent

How does any of that pertain to the app for Roku's inability to play 4K HDR content on their service on my devices?

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

@Toddwrtr wrote:

Paramount+ Tech Support has to be, hands down, the worst. After weeks of being assured they understand the issue (but not the cause) of the issue many of us have complained to them about in this thread, last night I receive the following e-mail that is supposed to pertain to my case:

Dear Todd,

Thank you for contacting Paramount+. First we would like to apologize for the delay in our response. We are sorry you are experiencing this issue and would love to assist.

After reviewing your case and account, we are seeing that your streaming has been restored.

Please refer to the following steps:
1. Ensure you are using the 2.4GHz network as most Roku devices run better on this network.
2. When viewing, click the (*) option button on the Remote and ensure Volume mode is turned off.
3. Also, ensure the bandwidth saver is off by going to settings>>network>>bandwidth saver>>off.
4. If these steps do not work, try changing your resolution settings on the Roku to 720p versus 1080p.
-Setting >> Display type.

If after completing the above steps you are still having issues with streaming, just reply to this email.

Regards,

Shannel

Paramount+ Customer Support Tier 2 Agent

How does any of that pertain to the app for Roku's inability to play 4K HDR content on their service on my devices?

Hey there, I can offer a couple of solutions other people who use Roku and Paramount+ say still work for them.  The HDR issue seems to only exist with the stand alone channel.  If you subscribe through Amazon Prime, or Apple TV, People who watch P+ through the Apple TV channel, or Prime Channel say things work as they are supposed to.  I've considered switching my subscription since when You do that, you can watch through the apps, and channels with one subscription.  However, for now I'm going to continue to use P+ with my Apple TV as it also works that way as well.

0 Kudos
Toddwrtr
Roku Guru

@iFrog wrote:
Hey there, I can offer a couple of solutions other people who use Roku and Paramount+ say still work for them.  The HDR issue seems to only exist with the stand alone channel.  If you subscribe through Amazon Prime, or Apple TV, People who watch P+ through the Apple TV channel, or Prime Channel say things work as they are supposed to.  I've considered switching my subscription since when You do that, you can watch through the apps, and channels with one subscription.  However, for now I'm going to continue to use P+ with my Apple TV as it also works that way as well.

The only issue is that I am paid up for another year on Paramount+. Not everyone can afford an Apple TV 4K device. Frankly, P+ should just refund everyone who uses the Roku app plus offer a rebate so that we can move our subscriptions over to the Apple TV app.

BTW - P+ is still blaming Roku for this, claiming this will all be fixed once Roku releases v10.6 of their firmware. That is just arrogant and delusional.

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

@Toddwrtr wrote:

@iFrog wrote:

The only issue is that I am paid up for another year on Paramount+. Not everyone can afford an Apple TV 4K device. Frankly, P+ should just refund everyone who uses the Roku app plus offer a rebate so that we can move our subscriptions over to the Apple TV app.

BTW - P+ is still blaming Roku for this, claiming this will all be fixed once Roku releases v10.6 of their firmware. That is just arrogant and delusional.

Well, that's why I presented you with more than one option.  The P+ channel is in the Apple TV Roku Channel as well, and so is the channel on Prime.  So, no need to buy and Apple TV (box) to resolve the issue.  Also I pay monthly for services, so I usually forget people also do it annually.  The main reason I have the Apple TV is because I am primarily an Apple user.  I have two Macs, an iPhone, and iPad.  It just made more sense for me to also get their streaming box.  I also have Roku players as when I wanted to get into streaming beyond the apps built into my Blu-ray Player at the time (2013) Apple TV wasn't what it is today, so the Roku was the better option then.  Now I use them about 50 / 50 depending on what's broken on the specific platform I want to use.

0 Kudos
artseattle
Binge Watcher

I tried accessing Paramount+ through my Amazon channel on Roku Ultra.  Sill no HDR or Atmos.  Again, tried to watch test show, "Star Trek Into Darkness."  Got full Dolby Vision and Atmos using iPad and AirPlay to my TV system.  Only HD, 5.1 through Paramount+ on Amazon or Paramount+ directly through their app on my Ultra.   Paramount+ through LG built-in Amazon App was also HD, 5.1.

Maybe someday...

Art

0 Kudos
iFrog
Roku Guru

Later today, I'll try Star Trek into Darkness from the Apple TV app, to see if Atmos and HDR10 work, (since I don't own a Dolby Vision compatible display.). As far as accessing P+ through the third party channels, I have no personal experience there, just information I've gotten from others who have had success working around the problems with The Roku Channel.  With the exception of the Star Trek series such as Picard, and Discovery, plus older ones, the Movies I have either on Blu-ray, or UHD Blu-ray.

I have tried AirPlay from an iPhone 12 Pro Max to an Apple TV 4K (2021), and wasn't able to get HDR, or 5.1 doing that.  I tried it with Prime Video as well because auto range matching is broken on the latest Prime Video app for Apple TV, so no HDR.  Thankfully I don't watch a lot of Prime Video, so I can wait for a fix without issues.  That's also why I have two streamers, a Roku, and Apple TV in both my setups, because it gives me a working streamer, when the other has issues as well as the features of both platforms, and of course, I have a disc player in each setup for physical media.

I love the benefits of streaming, and use it daily, but more and more I read more people having random issues especially with HDR content and Atmos so I'm glad I still have my physical media collection.

0 Kudos