Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
galtobellojr
Reel Rookie

Obnoxious CVS overlay ads.

I don't mind ads, else I'd not be here. But those big red CVS ads are too much. They overlay the program itself, obscuring it.

What were y'all thinking? If I can't watch the program, there's no reason for me to stay. Why don't you get just a little more annoying, send someone to my door, and have them stand on front of my TV while the show's playing.

Yes! Why have a "commercial break" when you can just plaster over the content itself, with no way to get rid of it besides stopping/resuming the show?

Whatever idiot came up with this should be fired. Or promoted, if I'm the only complainer; management material there!

Geez. 

3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Obnoxious CVS overlay ads.

What channel are you watching when you see these CVS overlays?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
galtobellojr
Reel Rookie

The overlays have appeared while watching Dragnet. I've encountered them at least 4 times over the last several days. At first it seemed that pausing then unpausing removed it, but today I had to return to the episode selection screen and resume play to lose it.

It appears in the upper right of the screen, over the running video. I'd estimate over 1/4 of the program is obscured by a bright red background that looks a bit like an "open book" icon, with white writing. 

I've never seen anything like it. Absolutely the most intrusive ad I've ever seen, and I'm retired, so've seen some. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@galtobellojr 

I was seeing some for Olive Garden breadsticks awhile back but I haven't seen them lately.  They appeared at the very beginning of shows on the Roku Channel.  They were quite small though, upper left or right corner of the screen from what I remember.

Take a screenshot with your phone if you can next time.  Wonder if the ads got bigger or are just not displaying correctly if taking over 1/4 of your screen.

I did notice that when I got the breadstick ads, I had less ad breaks during the show though, so I actually preferred them.

----

If you are watching the Dragnet series on Freevee, then it also may just be something that Freevee is doing.  They have been experimenting with different methods of ads on select devices.  On FireTV, users are reportedly seeing ads as soon as the app is opened (before any content can even be chosen).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos