Channels & viewing

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sigarm9
Level 8

Re: video freezes since software update 10-25-22

Jump to solution

Ugh...well I just cleared mine today but also changed my video to 1080p static instead of automatic and unchecked the customized adds so I'm hoping my freeze won't come back but I will post if it does. I sure hope Roku is working on a new update to address this soon!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: [OS 11.5] Express device - Video Freezes But Audio Keeps Playing

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware that the appropriate Roku team is currently investigating the issue. Once more information is available, we will be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
eab
Level 9

Jump to solution

Nope. That is not even mildly believable. Roku has no intention of dealing with this problem…hundreds of complaints, over 5 weeks…it’s obvious there is no “team”.
they are waiting for a user to come up with a fix.

I’ve reviewed other problems on the forum over the last couple of years. THEY NEVER COME UP WITH A SOLUTION. It’s always exactly the same.

Simplest solution is don’t buy Roku.

0 Kudos
Snakeoil
Level 10

Jump to solution

I see we have Roku Danny now. Roku Mary has apparently moved on to better things.

I noticed something new today, or at least new to my aging brain. The TV/Roku in the kitchen and which is furthest from my router struggles with buffering fairly regularly, especially when I first turn it on in the AM for breakfast. I've been thinking about getting a better router but have been dragging my feet. My thoughts were the poor signal was driving the buffering.

Since one of the Rokus froze last night, I did the cache clear on the kitchen Roku this morning. What I noticed is that when the Roku first came on, there was a new screen with holiday marketing stuff. No icons, no nothing, just a full screen with holiday decorations and something about streaming. As soon as I hit the right arrow button on the joystick, it went to the home screen. That opening screen is new to me. Now it could be that my normal practice of hitting the right arrow on the joystick as soon as I see the TV come on caused that first screen to disappear and the home screen to come on. i was making breakfast and not standing at the TV waiting for it to come on. I probably should be more patient to see if I get this on the other 2 units.

Anyway, I cleared the cache in the kitchen unit and using the Spectrum app picked a station. The Roku never buffered while I was watching. It cut in and out a few times, almost like a loose wiring connection. But this was split second stuff. Since it did not buffer, I'm thinking that the buffering is due to the cache filling up and not having enough RAM to process the less than optimal signal from the router. The other two units do not buffer as they get a better router signal. My guess at this point is Roku tried to push the memory capacity with the latest software update to collect more marketing info or to be able to push more advertising at the user. So, that would tell me that there would be little interest on them fixing the problem, especially if some manager came up with the idea and it has now backfired.

Another thing I have noticed since doing this cache clear process. If I turn the TV/Roku off and go away and then come back a in a few minutes and turn it back on, It asks me if I want to continue watching and if I click OK it takes me to the Spectrum station I was watching. But if it is longer than a short period (never measured it) that option does not come up and I have to scroll to the channel I want. Since clearing the cache, it asks if I want to continue watching, even after 8 or more hours have passed and takes me righ to the channel I was watching. This also tells me it has sufficient RAM to execute this feature but as time passes and the cache fills up, that feature is hit and miss.

It may be time to write the letter to the CEO and VP of engineering and drop it in the mail.

As a sidenote, I did some research last night and found out there is a workaround for using the Spectrum App on a Firestick. If you do a search on the web, you will find the instructions. I'm tempted to drive the 2 hours to my summer place and get our Firestick to try the work around. If it works, that may be my solution to all the Roku BS.

0 Kudos
Steve-Z
Level 8

Jump to solution

@Barry_GI am not sure why, but it seems to be more effective when done during a freeze. I cannot say that with certainty. It is just based on my own experience.

0 Kudos
Steve-Z
Level 8

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-RWe would find your post more credible (@RokuMary-R said the same thing weeks ago) if we could see a post here from the Roku technical team that is working on this. Even if they do not yet have a solution, someone could tell us how they have assessed the problem so far and what they are working on. They can be somewhat technical. Some of us here have technical expertise. I would rather have posts that push the envelope of my understanding than posts that serve me empty platitudes.

Snakeoil
Level 10

Jump to solution

I know I have said this before. The short term fix is put the previous software version out so the problem goes away. That has to be pretty easy to do from Roku's position. But it would mean admitting they made a mistake.

I keep getting more "badges" for posting messages. If I printed them all out and put them on my chest, pretty soon I'd look like some 3rd world country's dictator.

Barry_G
Level 8

Jump to solution

@Steve-ZThanks for that and yes, it did freeze again a few hours after the button presses. So I repeated the process during the freeze and we'll see how it hold up this time.

0 Kudos
Sigarm9
Level 8

Jump to solution

Well...sadly it did not work. I just turned on my TV and Roku, opened an app for my 11a show I watch / listen to and 10 seconds in, the video froze and audio continued. I did a restart on my Roku and it's working for now. Smh

0 Kudos
Barry_G
Level 8

Jump to solution

That didn't last long, froze again. I must respectfully reject the fix for my Roku Streaming Stick 4K. The Roku stick seems no better than the Firestick in terms of bugginess, which is what I was hoping for in buying it.

fwiw, hitting ffwd is what instigates the freeze most of the time for me.

0 Kudos