Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beepboop
Channel Surfer

Numbered channels on The Roku Channel

Why do the live channels on The Roku Channel have numbers? Do they have an actual function, or are they just decorative?

Not a major question, just mild curiosity.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Numbered channels on The Roku Channel

@beepboop 

I've never seen a purpose.

I suspect they are there because so many people cutting the cord are used to seeing numbers on cable grids, and it's a comfort things, something they're familiar with. But I've never seen a purpose for them.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Numbered channels on The Roku Channel

@beepboop 

You can use the keyboard feature of some mobile remote apps (like the official Roku Remote app and others) to navigate the numbered grid (by typing in the numbers) within the Roku Channel.

On the physical Roku remote and the mobile Remote app, you can also use the Microphone button (if you have a Roku Voice Remote) to also navigate between these numbered channels on the Roku Channel. (ie. while in Guide, press microphone button and say "channel 387" - should take you to Hallmark Live TV Channel.  Alternatively, can also just say the name of the channel "Hallmark" and should also take you there also.)

----

Info from @Tivoburkee is that some remotes will work on the numbered grids as well within RokuTvs. (https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes-Accessories/Accessing-Channels-without-having-to-scroll-throug...)

----

For the most part though, I think @DBDukes is correct is that it was originally for organizational/referral purposes.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos