Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
proto57
Binge Watcher

No more Youtube "search history"? Replaced by "recommended", with flame icons?

I was logged out from my youtube app on my Roku 3 a few days ago. I didn't do this, it must have been automatic. BTW, I am not a paid youtube subscriber, I am only registered with the free version.

After I signed into my youtube account again, the app no longer showed my search history. This was replaced by a list of recommendations by youtube. Each of these items now had a little "flame" icon as a bullet. I've never seen these before.

If I search for something, the search works. But when I go to search for something else, my previous search(es) are gone, and there is only this recommended list with the flame icons. These "suggestions" are either popular youtube videos which have nothing to do with my interests or searches, or in some cases are somewhat related subjects I've searched or viewed... but not the actual search terms I've used.

One other thing: There is a sudden upsurge in ads. It is like a flood. In, say, a 15 minute video, I will get two ads before I start, then two a few minutes later, then again, then again. Often they are the same ads, and often they don't give the option to "skip". Half of a 10 to 15 minute video are ads. I often just back out of the video, since is rarely worth it now.

Nothing else on the app changed. I still have all my subscriptions listed, and my VIEWING history is intact.

I've restarted the app, and the unit, and it does not help. I do not have Pi-hole on my network. I do have adblock on my firefox browers, on my laptop, but I don't think that would affect my Roku youtube app. Am I wrong? Thanks for any help in advance...

Proto.

7 REPLIES 7
Jmbalt
Reel Rookie

Re: No more Youtube "search history"? Replaced by "recommended", with flame icon

I know you posted this months ago. If the helps you or someone else then great. 

I had to go into my YouTube app on my phone and make sure I was signed in with my YouTube account not my Google account. This fixed it on my Roku. Not sure why but it did.

0 Kudos
jjwhitmor

Re: No more Youtube "search history"? Replaced by "recommended", with flame icon

Can you give some more information on how exactly you accomplished that. I am having this issue and cannot figure out how to specify a Youtube/Brand account rather than the main google account.

Jmbalt
Reel Rookie

Not sure if it's the same for everyone but I have a YouTube acct and Google acct with the same name. I signed in with my YouTube acct to activate my Roku app. It's been a while so I don't exactly remember the details of how I did it. It asked which acct to use to sign in and I picked my YouTube acct. Something about being signed in with the Google acct messes with it. 

Being signed in with my YouTube acct doesn't get me past age restricted content though. Last time I encountered this issue I signed in with Google, which started this whole issue for me.

Hope this helps

I don't want to see these recommendations listed on my search especially because they are not my choice. Get rid of it!!

This is really aggravating and has now become the deal breaker when it comes to using Roku products or services and youtube.

RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

We're grateful to have you here at the Roku Community, @EnoughoftheLies!

Thanks for sharing your input and feedback with us. 

Regarding this matter, it would be best to directly forward your concerns to the Customer Support of the YouTube app, as this is a feature feedback inside the app. Furthermore, please be aware that most apps or channels, including the YouTube app on the Roku platform, are being created, maintained, and updated independently by the channel providers themselves. 

Let us know if there's anything else we can be of assistance with, or feel free to create a new thread for different concerns. We'd be glad to help.

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
driftwood777
Streaming Star

Same thing has been happening to me, starting yesterday. I've tried rebooting Roku and rebooting the YouTube app. Signing in and out. But nothing fixes the Search function on Roku's YouTube. Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @driftwood777

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

This seems like a channel design-built issue that the channel provider can address. As @RokuCarly mentioned above in this thread, it's best to contact the channel provider's support directly so a workaround from them will address this issue.

We hope for your understanding regarding this. 

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos