Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RC14

No more Disney plus unless you go ad free or change streaming device?

Jump to solution

My roku device platform does not support Disney+ anymore.  I was told go ad free or change to a new streaming device 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Masternav
Reel Rookie

Re: No more Disney plus unless you go ad free or change streaming device?

Jump to solution

I have no trouble accessing our Disney+ Ad Supported service on Windows, using the Chrome browser.  That allows us to connect an HDMI cord to the TV to watch it.  But unless Roku and Disney resolve the problem very soon, we're cancelling Disney+.  Given their near doubling of their annual plan price since we signed up, we won't even consider the premium package anymore.  They aren't the only streaming service in town and never were.  We nearly did the same with (Disney owned) Hulu recently, but their ad supported tier works on Roku.  We were long term Fire Stick users until last year, but our Fire Sticks became unreliable and required resetting too often.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

There is a dispute between Disney and Roku for the ad-supported version. It's also not available on Windows. Most likely due to revenue and ad sharing.

According to Disney Plus’s support website, the ad-supported tier is “not currently available on Roku devices.” It’s also not available on the Microsoft Windows desktop app, the site informs. So, at the moment, U.S. subscribers with Disney+ Basic or Disney Bundles like Disney Bundle Duo Basic (Disney+ Basic and Hulu’s ad plan) or Trio Basic (Disney+ Basic, Hulu’s ad plan and ESPN+) are unable to stream on Roku or Windows.

Disney told TechCrunch that it is still in talks with Roku about reaching an agreement that suits both parties. It’s our guess that the dispute is over an ad-share agreement as, by default, channels must enter an ad revenue split with Roku. Disney, however, declined to provide specifics. Roku also declined to comment on the negotiations.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I thought that until around 10 days ago, ad-free was the only way to get Disney Plus anyway?  As such, I think I would just wait awhile and see what happens.  Most likely, they will work something out.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I didn't know about this issue until I tried to set up the Disney + Bundle basic on my Roku TV and got an error that the bundle was not available on Roku so I had to call Disney + to cancel it. The bundle is $12.99 with ads and $19.99 if you select the ad free version. 

0 Kudos
DaveJan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

There's a workaround but not the most friendliest.  I have the same issue since I switched my Hulu Live Tv plan to Disney+ basic.  Complained to Roku and Disney and got nowhere. I have an iPhone with the Disney+ app, logged in and it works.  I decided to Airplay to my tv a movie.  It works with ads but there's a hiccup.  When ads play and it's supposed to return to the movie, you get the spinning graphic.  I thought it was just buffering but nothing was happening.  I figured out to go back to my main screen on the iPhone and then go back to stream via Airplay.  The movie will start again where it left off.  Pain in the you know where but it works.  Hope these Executives at the two companies get their act together and play nice!

0 Kudos
DaveJan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

There's a workaround but not the most friendliest.  I have the same issue since I switched my Hulu Live Tv plan to Disney+ basic.  Complained to Roku and Disney and got nowhere. I have an iPhone with the Disney+ app, logged in and it works.  I decided to Airplay to my tv a movie.  It works with ads but there's a hiccup.  When ads play and it's supposed to return to the movie, you get the spinning graphic.  I thought it was just buffering but nothing was happening.  I figured out to go back to my main screen on the iPhone and then go back to stream via Airplay.  The movie will start again where it left off.  Pain in the you know where but it works.

0 Kudos
Masternav
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have no trouble accessing our Disney+ Ad Supported service on Windows, using the Chrome browser.  That allows us to connect an HDMI cord to the TV to watch it.  But unless Roku and Disney resolve the problem very soon, we're cancelling Disney+.  Given their near doubling of their annual plan price since we signed up, we won't even consider the premium package anymore.  They aren't the only streaming service in town and never were.  We nearly did the same with (Disney owned) Hulu recently, but their ad supported tier works on Roku.  We were long term Fire Stick users until last year, but our Fire Sticks became unreliable and required resetting too often.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Please be advised that Disney plus remains available on Roku, however, Disney plus Basic is not currently supported. We will let customers know if it becomes available in the future.

We appreciate your patience regarding this matter, as we continue to work to deliver better a streaming experience for our customers.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
APP5
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the Disney Bundle Duo (ad-based Disney+ and Hulu) and an old Roku 2 and Disney+ works fine.

0 Kudos
Masternav
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My patience is not unlimited, as I've not had access to Disney+ on my Roku for the past four weeks.  I am not willing to wait another four weeks before canceling, and I suspect that I'm not alone.  Given the near doubling of the non-basic Disney+ subscription cost since I joined two years ago, that is no longer an option I will consider.  Granted, this only affects Roku's potential ad revenue, I suspect that if many people are in the same position that I am, revenue will be negatively affected.  I have no sympathy for excessive greed, and no extreme need for any specific entertainment package.

0 Kudos