Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: No longer allowed uncertified channels

@Wtfover  And so was Microsoft. Times change. If you can’t keep up with the big dogs stay on the porch 

0 Kudos
Wtfover
Binge Watcher

Roku was supposed to be a “better type” of company, the alternative to “big cable”, like I said I didn’t know the was the Roku “fanboy club”. Microsoft have been pirates from day 1.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Roku was never a cable alternative. A Roku is merely a streaming device. Alternatives to cable are an antenna, YouTube TV, DirecTV Stream, FuboTV and Hulu + Live TV. And you don’t need a Roku for any of those. A Roku is basically a smartphone. A smartphone has apps. A Roku has channels. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Wtfover Roku really had no choice. Too many "developers" were offering private channels that provided illegal content. While Roku worked to keep that away, it because too much of a legal liability. They did what they had to do to stay out of court. Blame the channel developers that didn't adhere to the Roku standards, but you really can't blame Roku. Well, I guess you can blame them if you want. But that doesn't make you right.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Wtfover
Binge Watcher

@Ello2022 yes Roku was, it was the leader in cutting the cord before it was a thing to cut cords, before Disney, before Amazon, before so many other. They are the reason Disney+ exist today. No Roku, no Disney, no Roku, no smart TVs, no Roku, no Amazon fire stick. Sure companies like Linksys was creating streaming devices too (very “fri GE”, but had one of those) but Roku was the first to push for mainstream. 

0 Kudos
Wtfover
Binge Watcher

@atc98092 now this is the first real response that isn’t “fan boy”. See now legal issues I can’t start to understand, but one has to think there has to be alternative avenues? 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@Wtfover  what do you expect to gain out of this? Do you want Roku to violate their policy and allow these uncertified channels back in?

0 Kudos
Wtfover
Binge Watcher

@Ello2022  Looks like @atc98092 actually came in with a real answer, but what I would like to see is Roku to come up with a game plan that allows uncertified channels, but that also holds those channels responsible for their own content. Like it should have been.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

There won’t be a game plan. Companies had time to apply for proper licensing. They either refused or did not meet the deadlines. But you are the 1% and nothing will change just for you

0 Kudos
Wtfover
Binge Watcher

@Ello2022  I’m glad the world doesn’t think like you, because if they did, there would be no progress. 

0 Kudos