Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgwhitaker
Streaming Star

No Longer Able to Access Any Channels

Last night for some reason my internet connection went out. Since then, I can no longer access any of the channels on my Roku stick.

If I go to Settings > About, it shows as Connected with an Excellent connection.

But if I select a channel and attempt to watch it, either nothing happens, or I receive a "check your internet connection" message.

I've rebooted the router. I do have internet connection, as I am able to access the internet via my laptop.

I also contacted Xfinity support earlier today. The agent thoroughly went through some troubleshooting steps, including sending a reboot ping. Still no change. Finally, after exhausting all resources, the Xfinity agent gave me the Roku support number. (That turned out to be useless as Roku apparently only assists customers with billing questions or new device setups over the phone.)

At this point, would purchasing a new Roku stick be the only way to go? Seems like such a waste.

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No Longer Able to Access Any Channels

@rgwhitaker 

What is your Roku model number (Settings/System/About) and your router model number?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
rgwhitaker
Streaming Star

Roku Model Number: 3600X-ROKU Stick

Router Model Number: DPC39411

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@rgwhitaker  Your 3600 was released back in 2016. So it maybe best to upgrade at this point 

0 Kudos
rgwhitaker
Streaming Star

OK. Maybe I'll do that. Thank you.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@rgwhitaker 

If you have a mobile hotspot available to you, you can try connecting the 3600 to the hotspot. (This can help determine if the device can still achieve a wireless connection.)

Otherwise, you can verify if the power outage may have affected some of your router settings. (namely changing to unsupported wireless modes and channels).

Using the Xfi app or logging into your router admin panel (10.0.0.1) verify that your settings looks like these below....

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n (Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Try changing and using different channels. Roku cannot see or use 12,13,14.

* Restart both your Router and your Roku after making above changes.

5.0 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to N/AC
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz or 20/40 mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 36-48 (low frequency band) or 149-161 (high frequency band). Roku cannot see or use channels 52-140 (DFS Channels) which an Auto Setting may be choosing. If your router allows you to Disable DFS Channels, then an Auto Setting may be used after successful troubleshooting.

Restart both your Router and Roku devices(s) after making the above changes.

-----

Xfinity has an issue on the 2.4ghz band when set to mode g/n.  By changing to mode b/g/n, that will address that issue.  On the 5ghz band, the Roku device cannot see channels 52-140, while other equipment can (laptops, phones, etc), so verifying this will be helpful.

----

Please feel free to post back with an update or if you need help with any of the above.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
rgwhitaker
Streaming Star

How do you login to  your router admin panel?

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@rgwhitaker  The instructions are right in what avsgunnar wrote 

Using the Xfi app or logging into your router admin panel (10.0.0.1) verify that your settings looks like these below....the password should be written on the bottom or back of your modem 

0 Kudos
rgwhitaker
Streaming Star

"logging into your router admin panel (10.0.0.1)"

Steps, please.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@rgwhitaker     Keep in mind these are only troubleshooting steps And if they not fix your issue

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password

0 Kudos