Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No Audio with HD-Homerun Roku App

Are you watching one of the ATSC 3.0 TV channels? On mine they are all channels numbered 100 or higher. ATSC 3.0 uses AC-4 audio, which is probably not supported by your current devices. The Roku Ultra 4800/4802 can decode AC-4 into AC-3, which your devices should play without issue. 

I will say that Silicon Dust has publicly said they aren't making any serious effort to improve their channel on Roku devices. I'm not certain of their reasoning, but I do know the channel on my 4800 works fine with all channels (including the ATSC 3.0 ones) since it can decode the AC-4 audio. But for the "normal" ATSC 1.0 stations, you shouldn't have any audio issues. I've tried it on my non-Ultra players and it's fine there as well. The HD HomeRun app on my Nvidia Shield is much nicer to use than on my Roku devices, but that's a decision made by Silicon Dust. You need to talk with them about issues with their product.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
mhdena
Channel Surfer

I am using two Roku 4660x both have no audio. One 4800r does have audio. Same for my AppleTV 4K 2nd Gen, two of those have audio.

As far as the channel numbering, my CBS is 2.1 and should be the same as my OTA 1.0 on the TV tuner on each set, they do not have ATSC 3.0.  The TV with ATSC 3.0 where the Roku 4800r is connected shows the same channel numbering.  I don't have any OTA channels that go into the 100s.

0 Kudos
atc98092

OK, thanks for the info. If you don't have the Flex 4K, then you don't have the ATSC 3.0 tuners, so you wouldn't have those high channel numbers. 

A clue is that the 4800 has audio. Since the 4800 has a Dolby encoder, it is possibly changing whatever the audio is into AC3, which all your devices should play. I can't explain why the others are not providing audio, as the default audio for ATSC 1.0 is AC3. You might check your audio settings on the Rokus without audio and make sure they're set to auto. That's the setting I use on all my Rokus except for the 4800, which is set to passthrough. I have that one connected to a Yamaha AVR so it supports everything the Roku can output (except for AC-4). 

Dan

0 Kudos
mhdena
Channel Surfer

Yes I have the Flex 4K, all Roku audio is set to Auto

0 Kudos
atc98092

OK, I guess your market doesn't have any 3.0 stations on the air yet. I have 7 or 8 in the Seattle area, although none of them are broadcasting anything in 4K. Funny thing about those stations. They are all being broadcast from two transmitters, rather than the primary sites for each channel. I guess this was a way to reduce costs while they develop their ATSC 3.0 strategies. Of course, none are broadcasting anything other than their primary channel. None have any of their sub-channels on 3.0 yet. 

I'm at a loss as to why you don't get audio from the 4660s. That's one model I don't have, so I can't test mine for you. But I do know my HDHomeRun will play audio on my 4640 Ultra and 3920 Premiere, along with my 4800. I haven't tried any of the other Rokus in my home. 

Dan

0 Kudos
mhdena
Channel Surfer

I had an unused 4640x that does give audio with the HDhomerun App, same as my Streaming Stick+.

The 4640x remote doesn't allow TV control setup even though there are volume up & down buttons on the side. I tried to pair a 4660x remote to the 4640 and while it worked to select apps it would not control the volume either.

I wasn't planning to use the Streaming Stick+ as an everyday device, how is it compared long term to the Ultras?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@mhdena wrote:

The 4640x remote doesn't allow TV control setup even though there are volume up & down buttons on the side. I tried to pair a 4660x remote to the 4640 and while it worked to select apps it would not control the volume either.

I wasn't planning to use the Streaming Stick+ as an everyday device, how is it compared long term to the Ultras?

I believe the volume buttons on the 4640 remote will only control volume using CEC. It controls the volume of my Yamaha AVRs that they connect to, or the TV volume if the AVR is powered off and the TV speakers are in use instead. But it's using CEC for that.

My only comment about the Stick models is they tend to run warm. Being placed right next to the TV directly connected to the HDMI port doesn't allow for much air circulation. While I take a Stick with me when I travel, I usually use an HDMI extension cable to move the Stick further away from the TV. Although my 3600 Stick (now over 6 years old) still works fine connected directly to a TV in my grandson's bedroom. It is powered from the TV USB port, so it's not powered up at all times. But when I traveled with it I always used the power cube instead of the hotel TV to provide power, so it would be powered up the entire time I was there. For one trip that was more than three months. 

The Ultra has some benefits over any version of the Stick. For one, it has an Ethernet jack, so you can make a wired connection if desired. The Ultra 4800/4802 has double the operational memory (they both have 4 GB of channel storage), and a slightly faster CPU, so a bit more performance. The Ultra also has a USB port, if you would like to play media directly from a USB drive. Note the Ultra LT (4801) sold by Walmart is lacking the USB port.

Dan

0 Kudos
mhdena
Channel Surfer

I was able to pair my 4660 remote to the 4640 Ultra and now have full functions with the HD-Homerun App on the 4640!  I now can use the Sticks as intended like you for travel. I did get the extensions from Roku. I still don't see why the 4660x has no sound on the HD App. I still have three of these.

My 4800r(s) came from Amazon.

0 Kudos