Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alano9999
Reel Rookie

No Audio with HD-Homerun Roku App

Hi - I have a Roku Express 4K + model 3941 running Software 10.0.1 Build 4180-CR (Latest?)

It is connected to my local wireless network  and then to my TV via HDMI. Both audio and video work fine with all the channel Icons displayed on the Roku home screen.

I also have an HD Homerun Extend - Model HDTC-2US-M

I want to get rid of cable and was delighted to see that Roku had added an HD Homerun channel to its mix which allows me to run the app on my smart TV - Samsung UN55ES6150 running software T-MST10PAUSC - 2006.0 (latest?)

When I use the HD app via Roku, the picture comes in great but there is no audio. I have tried various combinations of audio options on the Roku but have not succeeded in getting audio.

Now from the Internet, I have gleaned that there is a problem with some Samsung TVs using Roku and the HD homerun. app.

"To hear audio, you need a TV, AV receiver, or soundbar that can decode Dolby Digital or AC3 audio over HDMI. Most modern TVs can do this, though we’ve noticed a few Samsung TVs cannot. All Roku televisions should be able to play audio without any trouble."

Knowing this, I might be willing to purchase a soundbar, to address this. Would this solve this problem?

I am not a real techie so if a soundbar is an option, what would I be looking for and how would this be hooked up to the TV?

My Samsung TV has 3 HDMI ports. One is connecting the TV to the Roku,

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No Audio with HD-Homerun Roku App

That information sounds suspect. All TVs with an ATSC tuner (North America Digital TV) can decode AC3 audio. Dolby Digital is the default audio used for ATSC, so every TV must support it. I've had issues with Samsung TVs, but never with their audio support for DD. 

I know the new ATSC 3.0 standard will be using AC4 audio, but I don't think that's the issue here. Your HDHR doesn't support ATSC 3.0, and there's only a handful of stations broadcasting with it yet. It would be great if you could borrow a soundbar or AVR just to test it. Or at least make sure the place you buy one has a good return policy if it doesn't resolve the issue. 

The thing with a soundbar is that it might be necessary to get one with HDMI input(s), so the Roku audio doesn't have to pass through the TV at all. If it's not decoding AC3 correctly from the Roku, it might not pass it correctly back to the soundbar via optical or HDMI ARC either. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
alano9999
Reel Rookie

Thank You ATC98092 for your quick reply.

You mentioned that if I get a soundbar, get one with HDMI inputs so the Roku doesnt have to pass thru the TV at all. . OK - pardon my ignorance - but I do not know much about soundbars..  I just thought that the soundbar is just another peripheral device that connects to the TV via its HDMI ports. and eliminates the TV speakers.  I have is an older TV model that just has vanilla HDMI ports. Can you help me in how you think the soundbar should then be connected. Thanks

P.S. I also have an old stereo receiver that is hooked up to external speakers via an Audio out from my TV to the receiver. I can use the Roku and the Aux from my receiver to play the audio thru the speakers using the Roku channels except the HD Homerun one  which results in silence. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Yes, some soundbars are only fed from a TV via optical, or sometimes HDMI ARC. But there are some that have actual HDMI inputs for connecting one or more devices. You would connect your Roku directly to the soundbar, and then the soundbar has an HDMI output to feed to the TV. Naturally, these would be more expensive than the standard soundbar. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Liwina

I have the same issue. I have a sound bar and still not working. There is anything else or what is the real reason HD Home run sound is not working?

0 Kudos
Wchowe
Binge Watcher

I have the same issue. I have a stero reciever w the Roku input thru hdmi. I pass the signal on to a sony tv. I get video but no sound. HD Homerun is the only app that doesnt give sound. HD Homerun blames Roku. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

My HDHomeRun 4K Flex has no issues with audio on any of my Roku devices. If you're watching an ATSC 3.0 channel, you won't get any audio unless you have a Roku Ultra 4800/4802. ATSC 3.0 uses AC-4 audio, which doesn't have much support yet with AVRs, soundbars, or TVs. The 4800 has an AC-4 decoder, and converts it to AC-3, which is supported by virtually everything.

Also, Silicon Dust isn't putting any effort into their channel for Roku devices for some reason. The Android app on my Nvidia Shield works far better then the HDHR channel for Roku. But Silicon Dust has to address that. It's their program, not Roku's. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Wchowe
Binge Watcher

Technology is great, until it doesnt work. Why is it an HD problem when it works on other TVs and apps. AC3 feedthru on some Roku devices but not all? Am i supposed to upgrade when things dont work? Come on man

0 Kudos
mhdena
Channel Surfer

I got the HD Flex today, it's playing fine on an LG smart TV with Roku ultra, a Sony A80CJ with both ATV4K and Roku Ultra.  On a Pioneer Plasma an ATV4K works fine, the Roku HD app has a great picture but no sound.  The LG and Pioneer are using tsame model Roku.  

What can it be preventing sound on the Pioneer Roku?

0 Kudos
mhdena
Channel Surfer

I got the HD Flex today, it's playing fine on an LG smart TV with Roku ultra, a Sony A80CJ with both ATV4K and Roku Ultra.  On a Pioneer Plasma an ATV4K works fine, the Roku HD app has a great picture but no sound.  The LG and Pioneer are using tsame model Roku.  

What can it be preventing sound on the Pioneer Roku?

0 Kudos