Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

Re: New buffering mostly on Spectrum app

Jump to solution

@jamesgerboc  Do you have any recent articles to back up your claim? If a channel is in the channel store you can download it. And currently the Spectrum TV is channel is available. You read some old article. The issue was resolved back in August of 2021

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/17/22629518/spectrum-tv-app-roku-channel-store 

0 Kudos
lstine

Jump to solution

I have done the recommended fix and it is still buffering.  I did reach out to charter spectrum about the issue with the spectrum app and after much time on phone call....it has gotten pushed back to the Roku device has a problem.  I explained to them that no other of my apps has a buffering issue...just charter app----just bought this roku to fix the buffering problem and it  still buffers with the charter app.  It is past spectrums recommended third generation---please help

0 Kudos
Docroxall
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Doesn't work, have done it 3 times.  Spectrum TV is the ONLY app that buffers.

0 Kudos
Docroxall
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My exact experience...I couldn't pull coax to the areas where my home theater was, and they offer Roku...I went with the Ultra to get Dolby Atmos, and right nin the middle of everything...buffering.

0 Kudos
cwcheese
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Docroxall @lstine 

I've been a user of Spectrum app for many years, ever since its predecessor TimeWarnerCable app was first offered on Roku a decade ago. Can attest that when Charter acquired TWC, they bloated the TWC app while rebranding it to Spectrum (to encompass TWC, Charter, and Brighthouse). Even in the days of TWC, there would be instances of buffering, it's gotten more frequent under Spectrum, and it has little to do with your home LAN, the culprit is usually on their head end servers inside the local data center serving your area. Sometimes it is widespread over a larger region. But it typically isn't anything in your setup since you likely don't go around unplugging and replugging your wires constantly.

Sorry to hear that it is affecting you all adversely, but I've long since given up berating their call center agents, it does little good. It grates on my nerves when I'm watching some program and invariably the buffering hits just at the instant there's an important expositional bit of dialogue that gets lost forever to the ether.

I just grin and bear it.

don't call me expert, just a long time Roku user that seen a lot of things
vidmm92

Jump to solution

Our Roku is 30 feet from our Internet connection with no walls or other obstruction to the signal.  Yet, we have continued to have problems with buffering which interrupts program viewing (sometimes at critical moments) and the image will sometimes be fuzzy. We updated Roku software, We removed Spectrum,  turned our system off (Roku and TV) by unplugging, then turned system (i.e. TV & Roku) back on.  Spectrum was added back on to the Roku.  There is somewhat less buffering and the image has been less fuzzy.  So, this process helped improve performance, but we are still dissatisfied with overall performance of Spectrum thru Roku.  There must be a better solution to get acceptable television viewing.

0 Kudos
Docroxall
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

For me the buffering ONLY occurs with the Spectrum TV app.  No other app (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, mlb.tv, etc, buffers EVER.  I have Spectrum gigabit.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@vidmm92 @Docroxall

Thanks for the posts.

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting the Roku device to an alternate wireless network to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are experiencing the same issue?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Pjd813
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi,

I completely solved the buffering situation by improving my Ethernet network about a year and a half ago. I also just went from Spectrum to YouTube-TV and I won’t be using the Spectrum app any longer.

0 Kudos
rms911

Jump to solution

I have the same issue and only with the Spectrum app.  I have a 1gb internet connection, a Netgear R8000p multi-channel, multi-speed router.  I have followed all of the recommendations I have found on hear and still have buffering issues.  None of the other apps buffer.