Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cwcheese
Roku Guru

Re: New buffering mostly on Spectrum app

Jump to solution

@RP709The Samsung version of the app is different to the Roku version, it's likely quite new by comparison. The Roku version is based on a very old codebase, that has been changed continually over more than a decade. I've been a user of the Roku version since it was originally the TimeWarnerCable app, which was renamed and adapted when Charter bought TWC & Brighthouse Cable, rolling all of the systems into the TWC app and renaming it Spectrum. The buffering problems date back to at least 2011/2012 when I first used it to free myself from having a set top box rental on every TV.

And yes, I've complained to TWC/Spectrum numerous times over the past decade, with limited success. The buffering is not nearly as often as it was years ago, but it is annoying to max when it happens because it invariably hits just at some climactic moment in a story or a key sporting play during a live game. It's doubtful Spectrum will ever fix it completely, since that would necessitate a total white sheet rewrite of the entire app to eliminate memory leaks, and they won't spend the money to do that.

don't call me expert, just a long time Roku user that seen a lot of things
DJSomers
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My problems with the Spectrum TV app buffering on my Roku 4K Streaming Stick just started around 4 months ago, and I've had Rokus for 4-5 years. No problems with other apps buffering. Just wish Spectrum would get its act together and do better. MANY people have complained about the TV app, so you would think Spectrum would try to fix it. They did recently do an update and that seems to have helped.

dxaanlere
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

i have had 3 service techs at house 4 on the phone. no one at spectrum knows how to fix this issue. it only happens on spectrum app, and it is on all my tv's. if others are experiencing this problem, then it is not our connections, wires, routers etc, etc, etc.

i have had the techs tell me to uninstall app, reinstall, restart, disconnect this and that. nothing fixes it and that it only happens on spectrum app leads me to believe it is a spectrum issue emanating from their end.

i would also like to mention that this issue deserves some kind of compensation for the lack of complete service that is being paid for by all the spectrum customers.

there has to be an incident that occurred at the beginning of the issue. check data logs, see if a new implementation of a new experimental electronic gadget or just some newbie flicked the wrong switch.

someone must have an answer.

Jump to solution

seems they'd rather I pay for a cable box than fix the issue on their app.----- BINGO!!!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@unreconstructed

Thanks for the post.

For more information about that channel's functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator