Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cwcheese
Roku Guru

Re: New buffering mostly on Spectrum app

Jump to solution

@rms911  I noticed the dreaded Buffering... dialog pop up several times last evening while viewing programs on Spectrum app. My connectivity is a Roku TV with a hard wire ethernet cable to the cablemodem, no wifi involved whatsoever. It's in my home office so the TV is less than 6ft from the modem.

And like you, no other apps buffer except Spectrum. Therefore, as I've expressed before on this thread, I conclude that this is a Spectrum issue, Roku dev hasn't responsibility for this.

P.S. Because the buffering was manifesting itself, I decided to watch the MLB All Star Game using OTA, so I wouldn't risk missing some interesting play when the dialog pops up.

don't call me expert, just a long time Roku user that seen a lot of things
Frroberts
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Is 💯 spectrum. 

i switched to youtube tv and never looked back.

0 Kudos
Ed_M

Jump to solution

FWIW, the Spectrum TV app was programmed and is maintained by Spectrum, not ROKU.

I have the same buffering problem with the Spectrum app. It is especially maddening with live sports and MSNBC, so much so that I switch to another app to avoid it. I've tried getting help from Spectrum but it's useless, seems they'd rather I pay for a cable box than fix the issue on their app.

KenneyG1

Jump to solution

Been happening on my Samsung television also. Restarted the TV and the modem and no change 

0 Kudos
DJSomers
Binge Watcher

Re: Spectrum TV app not working on two of my ROKU units

Jump to solution

I have I have had major issues with my 2 roku streaming sticks Streaming sticks regarding the spectrum TV app for the past 2 or 3 weeks. Spectrum has been out twice and essentially they cannot do anything. They did the typical troubleshooting but issues with buffering still exists. Spectrum shows no outward interest of trying to get this fixed. My rokus play all other channels just fine so it is definitely the spectrum TV app.

I recently I recently upgraded my Internet speed to 600 Mbps and had to get a new router and modem. Wi-Fi 5. These are auto detect devices and you cannot specifically pick 2.4G or 5G networks. Today my spectrum Tech said this could be the issue. One of the TVs with the roku streaming stick is about 5' from the modem and router but still buffers wirelessly.  He believes the router is automatically putting the roku on the 2.4G network rather than the 5G network which could result in buffering. He suggested that I get a dual band router and I am strongly considering this.

Tags (1)
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@KenneyG1 @DJSomers 

Thanks for the post.

Does this issue only occur on the Spectrum channel or does it happen across all channels?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DJSomers
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks, Danny. The problem is only with the Spectrum TV app. All other channels work/play fine. I've talked to Spectrum & they've come out twice. We've about decided the problem is due to the new router they gave me after I upgraded my internet speed. It automatically detects which network to put devices on but there's no way I can control that or to know which network the Roku is being assigned to. Although the TV with Roku stick that I use the most is only 5-10' from the router, we think it is putting the Roku on the 2.4 G network instead of the 5G one, which might explain the buffering. I'm getting a new router in a couple of weeks and will be able to control which devices go on which network & I hope that will solve the problem. I wrote all of this in case others are having the same issue.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@DJSomers
Thanks for the follow up.

Please keep us posted if you are still experiencing the same issue after you get a new router!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
rk1971

Jump to solution

I am also seeing this issue for Spectrum app. All other apps on Roku work fine. I reinstalled the Spectrum app but no help. WiFi works fine otherwise. 

RP709

Jump to solution

We are experiencing Spectrum buffering on our Roku.  We also have a Samsung TV with an included Spectrum App, and have no buffering problems on that set.